2019 Accelerator / Incubator Spring Application

Hello Developers!

It’s that time of year again, the Roblox 2019 Spring Accelerator & Incubator application process is open.

If you would like the opportunity to come to Roblox HQ to create creations while working alongside the developer relations team, and engineering teams, then we have a great opportunity for you!

This year we are opening up the program for people to apply with not only games but also to apply with modules, plugins, apis, or any unique social experiences. We are looking for developers from all backgrounds and skill sets, this includes builders, scripters, music composers, UI designers and any other development categories on the Roblox platform.

Apply here!

While filling out the application, there will be a section called “Elevator Pitch.” This section is for you to write 1-3 sentences on what you would want to work on while attending the program.

We encourage everyone who is interested and experienced with Roblox development to apply! If you are unsure about your level of proficiency, we still urge you to apply!

Deadline to Apply: July 20th
Summer Signs Ups will be posted in a couple of months

Thanks,
Developer Relations Team

FAQ

What is the accelerator and incubator program?

Accelerator Program

• Provide the developers of Roblox the tools, knowledge, and skills to create better creations, as well as use their feedback to improve our platform
  • Develop creations of your design and pitch them to a producer, as one would in a AAA Studio
  • Great opportunity to make a great creation as you grow in your knowledge in building a game on time and on multiple platforms

Incubator Program

• The creations made in this program affect the platform in a fundamental way that provides an improved developing ground for all Roblox developers
  • The objective of the program is to produce creations that are currently difficult to create on the Roblox platform
  • Developers in this program are asked to make these challenging and hand picked creations that will directly impact Roblox
  • Work with the Engineering and Product teams to help shape the future of Roblox

If I am new to/just learning Roblox development, should I apply?

• Both programs are designed for experienced developers who have demonstrated proficiency and have a deep understanding of Roblox’s systems and game development process. We encourage everyone to apply, but these programs are built to provide experienced developers the guidance and support needed to accelerate their success on Roblox.

Am I allowed to apply for both programs?

• Yes, you are allowed to apply for both the Accelerator and Incubator programs however if your applications for both are successful, you may only choose to participate in one of the programs.

Can I apply with a team?

• Yes, you can apply by yourself or with a team. If you apply with a team make sure all members fill out the application.
  • If you apply by yourself, we encourage you to find contractors to help you.

Do I need to attend in person?

• Yes, both programs will require participants to work full-time at the Roblox HQ in San Mateo, California.

When will I find out if I move forward in the application process?

• The Developer Relations team will reach to you no matter what. This may take up to 6 months.

Why are there no dates for the program?

• While we have a general range of the months we want each program to be held over, we are quite flexible with each group’s availability and will work with accepted applicants to set exact start and finish dates in your offer letter.

Do I need to live in the United States to participate in these programs?

• No, however, if you live outside of the United States, you will need a J-1 US exchange visa. If you are accepted to participate in these programs, Roblox will assist you with the visa process. The visa requires you to be pursuing further education (college, university, etc. - this does not require you to be enrolled in a US school).

Can these programs be credited as internships at my university?

• Many universities do provide credit for these programs but that varies widely. You should consult with your specific university officials on this topic.

How long do the Incubator and Accelerator programs last?

• The Accelerator program runs for 12 weeks, and the Incubator program entails a 20-week program, lasting five months.

What if all my work is paid access?

• Roblox will be able to still look at it, but be sure the work is not private.

Do I have to be 18+ to participate in these programs?

• Yes. If you are 17 years old but will be 18 years old by the start date of the program, you can still apply.

How will housing work?

• You will need to find your own accommodations and pay for rent, but these programs pay enough for you to live in the area in a roommate situation. In the past, Accelerators and Incubators have teamed up to find places to stay for their tenure at Roblox to split the cost of rent. Upon your application being accepted, Roblox will reach out to you with a channel for meeting and talking with other program participants so that you can get to know people with whom you may be staying during your time with Roblox. The other program participants are Accelerators, Incubators, and interns at Roblox.

Will Roblox pay for my flight to attend the program?

• No, you will need to purchase your own way to California.

Does Roblox provide free snacks at the HQ?

• Yes! Tons
42 Likes

Sounds like an awesome opportunity!

If only I lived in the US :sob:

6 Likes

The snacks are amazing… :octopus:

9 Likes

We do accept developers that are not in the US - they just need to be attending a university in order to get a visa.

5 Likes

Well I could eventually apply but my 18th birthday is in the summer summer end (late August) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

Well i’m going to uni later this year, and year 3 is an internship period.

Maybe there is hope in 2020 :smiley:

4 Likes

Keep an eye out for 2019 Summer Application in a couple of months. As long as you are 18 before the program start date you can apply & attend.

4 Likes

Still not sure if I can apply. I don’t see anything about Europe so I presume it’s still the same: must be in college and over 18, it’s not mentioned here but it’d be amazing if it was changed!

Edit: There’s my answer

2 Likes

One year short, RIP. Good luck to everyone who applies!

2 Likes

I was hoping this was for summer instead of spring. I will defiantly be applying to this for the summer for co-op credit, but won’t for the spring because it will prevent me from getting a summer co-op, and this wouldn’t count.

1 Like

Would this count as work experience? Or would that be an internship?

If so, I could do this as part of my university 3 year programme. I live in the UK and I’m still in college so this wouldn’t be for another 2-3 years.

Are these programs more for programmers and builders?

Hope it works out for the both of us, that’s my planned time too!

3 Likes

Accelerators are users that have a game already and wish to promote it. Incubators are users that don’t have a game, wish to make one and make it successful. Imagine the Roblox team as your mentors.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I will be applying to become an accelerator then.

It really depends on the university you go to if it counts for work experience / internship — for the most part it will count as either one of those.

2 Likes

This isn’t the case. Everyone here has to make something ‘new’ but some people choose to improve on existing games they already have (through big updates and overhauls). You have to work on a project with enough scope that you can spend 40 hours a week on it for 12 weeks (for accelerator)

2 Likes

I 100% recommend applying for this amazing experience!

7 Likes