A Guide to OpenScript

Learn how to direct your user’s attention to a particular script, or even a particular part of a script! Feel free to ask any questions.

4 Likes

Nice tutorial as always – although I didn’t realize what you were even teaching until I finished the video and went back to the part the API reference.
You should clear that up at the start of the video – it sounded at first like you were teaching about a language, then I thought it was a library, then a plugin, …

I think you can afford to make your videos a minute or two longer, also. While being concise is good, you should take the time to explain concepts that may be confusing. You did lots of things in this tutorial – not just using the OpenScript method. Either cut down on what you show or expand so everyone knows what’s going on.

Final thing – plugin:OpenScript() (and basically every other method and property) is a really easy method to ‘learn’ if you already know how to read the wiki. I don’t need to watch a YouTube video to learn how to use it.
I suggest you start teaching people how to fish, instead of giving them fishes :wink: Reading the wiki is a daunting task that most new scripters have trouble with, but it’s also super useful and easy to do once you know how.

Keep up the good work

EDIT: Also this is a really good question

3 Likes

What is the point of using _ and _2? Using an _ in lua just to indicate a throwaway variable not to actually store data.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback! I admit that this isn’t my best tutorial (I was rushing to prepare for RDC) and I didn’t get into a very good teaching mindset. I’ll be sure to clarify what I’m teaching in the future.

As for the length of the videos, although I gloss over a lot of concepts, that’s done on purpose–the goal is to make extremely quick, digestible videos for programmers who just want to understand what to do and get back to work. I have some plans for an alternative tutorial series that slows own and does longer, more comprehensive walkthroughs.

Finally, your point about the simplicity of the method is correct. It’s honestly not a great topic, and I default to my first excuse for that. I’ve been working through the plugin API, and I’ve pretty much sucked it dry, so I’ll be moving onto the next thing shortly.

I appreciate the time you took to provide feedback–thank you!

3 Likes

Is it? I just saw other people doing it to replace the iteration number in their code and assumed it was a preference thing. I guess now I know what it really does.

It is a preference thing. Putting an underscore instead of an “i” or a “k” doesn’t have any different functionality - it doesn’t do anything else. It’s just what some people put for a variable they aren’t going to use.

1 Like

Hmm. Well, for now I guess I’ll just keep using i, since I normally default to i,v anyway.

1 Like

I did that for the longest time but now my preference is an underscore when I know I’m not going to use that var, because my eyes just skip over it easier. To each their own.

2 Likes