A Simple, Quick, and Easy Guide to Low Poly Terrain

If I’m being honest here, I’m shocked nobody else has done this yet and, believe me, I checked.

What is Low Poly?
In Roblox, polygons play a major factor to game speed. For the manpower of most PCs, including mine, polygons affect gameplay and an excess of them can create major lag. Games with huge polygon counts hurt. But how can we as devs counter this to make our games easier to play for our players to make them stay later? That’s where low poly builds come in. You’ve seen them. Nice, neat, simple.

These models, from @JukeRblx 's post (here) are examples of low poly builds but theres always a small problem: how do you make unique terrain that is low poly?

The Plugin
Originally shown to me by @2Hex , a plugin called “Draw Triangle” by @Nathan_Lua is the easiest and simplest tool for creating unqiue terrain with the most efficient time.

https://gyazo.com/e1125b7903c56adeb8c90aa408220bd8.png
Figure One: This is just a regular block combo. (Ignore the red block)
https://gyazo.com/78e50b3a2f46cdb780a66cede069b7e5.gif
Figure Two: As you can see in this GIF (pronounce it how you want), you can see that I placed down a couple triangles next to each other.
https://gyazo.com/1b93e5bf2302c845480ff875cbd9b0df.gif
Figure Three: I showed what I did on the other side by placing down two more triangles.

Following these basic steps, you can be able to make super cool low-poly terrain builds! Best of luck to you on your builds!

45 Likes

I’m definitely going to try this plugin out, great guide!

3 Likes

Best of luck to you!

1 Like

How would this work when it comes to builds and such? Like may this plugin be used to reduce my sizing? part count? But, when it comes to for say a Castle and such around those lines will this be more efficient?

1 Like

I just looked back over your message. I believe that I misunderstood you. As this is terrain based, yes, it can technically look good with low poly builds, such as castles. It won’t reduce your part count but will save part count when making the terrain. I’d like to also remind you that it will look nice enough that you can create a better way to show off the real build you made and that the terrain is a way on how to emphasis those creative creations.

1 Like

That’s really neat! Thanks for sharing!!

1 Like

Thank YOU for taking the time to read it! Haha

1 Like

Hey! Thanks for featuring my build :slight_smile:

Really helpful post!

Imo this method is a lot easier and saves a lot of time (in terms of having to redo triangles and whatnot), but I know people who use both methods and as long as it gets the job done, all power to you

EDIT: LOL I forgot to talk about what method exactly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUmdQLqUZuw

2 Likes

Sorry for the super late reply! I like your method and that will be a much easier way to designing terrain on a wide scale; however, I also believe that the method I provided is better for a more detailed design.

Has there been any updates to your method since then?

2 Likes

I feel like simply importing it from a 3D modeling program is a lot easier than dealing with any of the triangle drawing plugins I’ve seen so far

3 Likes

I haven’t seen any games with imported meshes like that because I heard rumors that the meshes sometimes have bugs, causing players to float or sink through the parts. Is this true?

1 Like

When I say import from a 3D modeling program, for things like terrain, I mean importing the actual .obj as wedge parts(there are lots of free tools you can find in various community resource outlets where you can do this, or just parse the .obj yourself it’s pretty easy).

Importing it as a meshpart would have collision issues you’re right. Something I did on some projects I was playing with in the past is, I uploaded the mesh part for the render essentially(to get my textured terrain), made it non-collide , and then imported the invisible collision mesh wedges out of the .obj.

By the looks of it , this is what Robot64 did as well.

4 Likes

I hadn’t even considered textured terrain! Thanks for pointing that out. Likewise, for the creation of the ground, this plugin is still viable LOL

Thanks for your input!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, I am going to try this for my game c:, Hopefully have a better results, than adding triangles individually

1 Like

AYE!
This seems really useful even though I dont really need to use this method coz I use blender 99% of the time.
But still, this might be really useful for the 1% of time I decide to work on studio.
Thx for this :smiley:

1 Like

It is significantly easier to create the terrain in a 3D Modeling Software. Although I like that idea, it seems very slow and might not look as good. There are other plugins on Roblox that allow for an easier creation of low poly terrain. There is a low poly terrain creator that allows you to choose the size (in studs) of your terrain, for instance, 100x100 studs.

It also lets you drag little nodes up to different elevations so you would have more control and customization over the terrain.

This method seems creative, albeit there are better methods for creating low poly terrain.

1 Like

O what plugin is it? I was trying to learn the nodes thingy, but I beleive your plugin might be better

1 Like

Not sure if this Still works but it’s helpful

2 Likes

Oh yeah, but the comments said, it keeps crashing, so Im still in doubt

1 Like

You can just search up low poly terrain creator and there will be a link.

3 Likes