Allow mobile purchases on jailbroken devices

I’m really upset about this, I recently got £30 of iTunes cards to buy BC through the mobile app. I paid and never got the BC, contacted info@roblox.com and had a massive frustration and goose chase and after about 6 days here’s what they said finally.

“Hello there,
Purchases made on our app on a jailbroken device will not be successful. Any attempts to do so will result in a situation similar, if not exactly the same, as the one you originally wrote in about. We do not recommend or encourage users to make purchases on jailbroken devices.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Krysta”

I find this to be extremely unfair, I’ve never pirated anything as a result of jailbreaking. My dad did it originally to help use the iPad due to his disability as we share it. He still uses many helpful tweaks which make the iPad more accessible, easier for him to use.

[center]There was no prior warning stating that mobile purchases aren’t allowed nor the app would be effected in anyway (like the skype app for example)

[/center]

Stopping BC/mobile payments on iOS devices that are jail broken are pointless, there’s a tweak in cydia that ‘fakes’ your device not being jailbroken (I can’t remember the name of it) this is the reason many jailbroken devices are still able to use/get around/bypass streaming apps that are restricted to ‘non-jailbroken’ devices.

Our statistics say that X% of our mobile users are jailbroken
This argument is invalid and in-accurate for the reason I just mentioned

Everyone that’s jailbroken just pirates everything
This accusation is also invalid, many users do it for user interface changes, fixes, or other reasons. I believe my Dad has a good reason for jailbreaking our iPad in the fact now he’s able to use it with ease due to his disability of which I’d rather not mention. I hate the assumption that the second you ‘jailbreak’ you pirating everything, running amok and being a total pirate’r and are to be treated like a criminal. Which is really upsetting :frowning:

Just remove your jailbreak
It’s not my iPad, it’s primarily my dads and the tweaks he has on it enable him to use the iPad due to his disability. Removing the jailbreak will make the iPad useless to my dad. Not to mention the hassle of restoring all your items, media etc.

2 Likes

Wait, if there is a tweak that prevents jailbreak detection why not get the tweak in the first place?
Logically it’s as easy as installing it.

2 Likes

[quote] Wait, if there is a tweak that prevents jailbreak detection why not get the tweak in the first place?
Logically it’s as easy as installing it. [/quote]
Some users won’t know of it or don’t have the repo for it so would be un-able to install it. When it first came out it took up a bit of space and sometimes resulted in your device crashing. I would rather them just allow purchases to be made on a jailbroken device then fill like a criminal and ‘getting around’ it.

1 Like

Isn’t it because of in-app fraud?
Blocking jailbroken devices is good.

1 Like

[quote] Isn’t it because of in-app fraud?
Blocking jailbroken devices is good. [/quote]
What’s to stop me now installing the tweak that ‘fakes’ my device being un-jailbroken and buying it? Although I wouldn’t but other people can just as easily do it.

1 Like

[quote] Isn’t it because of in-app fraud?
What’s to stop me now installing the tweak that ‘fakes’ my device being un-jailbroken and buying it?[/quote]
What’s stopping you from doing it now?

1 Like

how hard is it to go on your PC and buy BC there? Geeze.

1 Like

[quote] [quote=“Kevin” post=200170]Isn’t it because of in-app fraud?
What’s to stop me now installing the tweak that ‘fakes’ my device being un-jailbroken and buying it?[/quote]
What’s stopping you from doing it now?[/quote]
The fact it’s immoral and I’d rather not install more tweaks bloating up boot times and cydia refresh times.

The fact I have no other way of buying BC? Geeze

1 Like

The fact I have no other way of buying BC? Geeze[/quote]

Install an iOS emulator on your computer and buy it trough that. (I’ve never tried it but I know there are emulators)

1 Like

[quote]

Install an iOS emulator on your computer and buy it trough that. (I’ve never tried it but I know there are emulators)[/quote]

For developers yeah.

Also, ROBLOX should be blocking jailbroken devices from making purchases.

But it sounds like ROBLOX is allowing it, then refusing and refunding.

The reason they should is while I’m sure they have very good anti-fraud measures, something might come out that can beat it.

On Android, all you have to do is temp disable root. But I’ve made purchases on ROBLOX on my rooted tablet before so they must not check for the su binary.

1 Like

[quote]

Install an iOS emulator on your computer and buy it trough that. (I’ve never tried it but I know there are emulators)[/quote]

The only close to working emulator is the iOS simulator on Mac. Even on there it is close to impossible to install 3rd party apps.

1 Like

Erm… a while back there was actually a thing in Cydia that allowed people to get in-app purchase-ables for free. I’m not sure if ROBLOX even had an app then, but I could completely understand why they’d do this.

If you could get in-app purchases for free, that’s essentially unlimited free R$ which can now be converted to USD.

1 Like

[quote] Erm… a while back there was actually a thing in Cydia that allowed people to get in-app purchase-ables for free. I’m not sure if ROBLOX even had an app then, but I could completely understand why they’d do this.

If you could get in-app purchases for free, that’s essentially unlimited free R$ which can now be converted to USD. [/quote]

Such an edit from Cydia would only work for local purchases, purchasing R$/BC requires server authentication, so it couldn’t happen.

1 Like

“Purchases should be blocked on jailbroken devices” should be as stupid a thing to say as “purchases should be blocked on PC” because a PC grants you as much control as a jailbroken device.

If ROBLOX is actually trusting the iOS client to declare that the purchase was successful and not something on the side of Apple’s servers, that would be extremely stupid.

1 Like

[quote] Erm… a while back there was actually a thing in Cydia that allowed people to get in-app purchase-ables for free. I’m not sure if ROBLOX even had an app then, but I could completely understand why they’d do this.

If you could get in-app purchases for free, that’s essentially unlimited free R$ which can now be converted to USD. [/quote]

AFAIK that tweak only works for local purchases and not ones that are processed by a backend server.

1 Like

It’s pretty understandable for any app creator to limit purchases on jailbroken/rooted devices. For instance, for the app I’m working on as an intern, the business requirements force multifactor authentication every login if the device is rooted or jailbroken.

1 Like

What you should do is to have the purchase go though roblox’s database rater than IOS’s in app purchase, because that’s how the “in app purchase” works.
If you use a external database, the jailbreak doesn’t work.
Because it can only fake the puchase client that apple gives you.
The way the in app source does it, is to fake that it’s a “test” device your buying on.
And then accepts the purchase.

1 Like

Last I checked, ROBLOX doesn’t let a client tell them “hey uh, I bought 99,999 R$” and believe them. That’s like tweaking the javascript on a webpage to spoof a credit card purchase. That won’t work. There’s a backend check.

1 Like

Hey guys just an update on this, one of my friends jailbreaks and he has the tweak to get ‘free In-app purchase’ I told him to try the ROBLOX app to see if it worked but like most games that aren’t local based he told me that nothing happened.

1 Like

The issue isn’t if it’s local based. The issue is that everything is crackable by the right person. That one person might be able to crack the verification sent to the server that says all was good.

1 Like