An update on Future Is Bright

Seeing a lot of these issues in the latest build (those unexpected black “spots” at the bottom):

In current non-FIB client:

Even if the sun is pointing directly at it:

Deleting the right grass piece (that’s 8 studs away from the wall!) removes the unexpected visuals from the wall.

(Seems like in general the voxel interpolation is very “blocky” now?)

Repro file: blahh.rbxl (12.8 KB)

Also noticed a lot of “grainyness” and banding others mentioned. Here’s a simple repro…

File: blahh2.rbxl (14.8 KB)

Another thing: OutdoorAmbient is a pretty decent way to get some sort of GI from sunlight (works rather well now), but is it possible to have some sort of more “interesting” shading for parts that are completely occluded if OutdoorAmbient is “not zero”? The completely flat shading even though OutdoorAmbient is e.g. (1, 1, 1) looks rather odd to my eyes…

5 Likes

We had some very early prototypes a few years ago (I think the original GPU voxel lighting one I did) that used an ambient cube instead of a flat ambient color that would make this better, although that would probably mean a different API… I agree we should look into this. We’ll also check the other issues - some of them look like things we’ve fixed recently in the internal builds but not sure if we fixed all of them.

5 Likes

The issue with shadows you have reported is already fixed in our FIB codebase. There is a trade off of not having light leaks on one hand and having these dark areas (shadow leaks? :slight_smile: ) on the other. We are still trying to figure out if there is something we could do better about it.

5 Likes

What are these lines that randomly appear and will they be fixed in Future is Bright?

8 Likes

v13 doesn’t crash anymore if brightness is 0, but the shadows are still disappearing:

Brightness 1

Brightness 0

5 Likes

I’ve noted a consistent issue where I get a bright sparkly thing on my screen. I think it’s related to specular maps, on terrain, as that’s the only place I notice it. The dots appear for a single frame and are extremely bright purple/blue from what I can tell. The biggest one I’ve seen is about 200x200 pixels, give or take.

I think it occurs due to level of detail changes.

3 Likes

FiB causes SurfaceGui text with LightInfluence of 1 to appear dark.

5 Likes

I believe that’s supposed to happen. Since the scene you screenshotted has a light source at the right-bottom, it makes sense that the ‘Level 2’ GUI is darker.
That’s why it’s called ‘Light Influence’. The light influences the GUI (so also shadows!).
If you don’t want that effect, put it on 0 :smiley:

4 Likes

awwww yeah

3 Likes

Any updates?
Also, when is this likely to release? (for PC at least)
I really want to use it in my new game.

Don’t ask what the game is about, or else I would have to kill you … :wink:

Keep up the awesome work.

3 Likes

The color of the text on those signs is white, so it wouldn’t make sense for it to look like that, even if LightInfluence is on. Anyways, there isn’t any difference in color between text on the Level 2 one and text on the other one, which should obviously appear since there is a light source above the sign to the right of the hallway.

5 Likes

Oh it’s about text! I thought it was about the GUI itself.
I probably missed that part, sorry. In that case, yea that’s a problem lol.

4 Likes

You should update your OP if thats the case - I was confused too!

4 Likes

Just to bump that v14 seems to have released. Check GitHub.

9 Likes

Ye it does and it’s terrible. I dont know why but when I get above quality 7 at some point of my map I get lag spikes and this is only happening with V14. V13 was working fine I don’t know what is the problem.

My map is optimized for bad computer and this problem ONLY happen with V14.

10 Likes

•Will there be a rework on the material’s rendering ?
The grass actually looks shiny… more like an oiled skin ready for a massage :neutral_face::slightly_frowning_face:

heres the before/after:

•I feel like I have no more control over the lighting colors, which is bad imo.
If for exemple I want the sun to cast a purple light and have a green skybox for whatever reason, its impossible.
“the future is bright” is the gate to only realistic lighting, no more funky things.

•I also see that the fog is still unchanged, I posted a thread about that.
That would be another awesome feature to improve the visual significantly.

Link to the thread:

21 Likes

Finally, legacy content! So many classic (and relatively new) ROBLOX games will be saved! Huzzah!

5 Likes

Yes, we need to look into that still.

The expectation is that you can use OutdoorAmbient to what you’d expect your skybox influence on the world to be, and use the legacy properties for adjusting the sun light. I forgot if they work in FIB. We need a better system for controlling the sun color…

We plan to work on fog separately from FIB - it does need work :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Shall there be a chance of custom materials? :eyes:

17 Likes

Based on the performance talks at RDC (recording coming soon), I have a feeling it is a no for the next year.
The difficulty seems like it would go up drastically with the new shading possibilities, and they are pretty difficult to make.

9 Likes