Changes to Hats and Body Parts

R6’s NeckAttachment is on top of the torso but R15’s NeckAttachment is on the bottom of the head, so stuff like scarves and bow ties that shouldn’t move with your head still do on R15.

2 Likes

Found the issue, it was related to some welding logic you were using to weld items to the character (PM’d more specifics).

If anyone else is seeing a similar issue in their games it might be worth checking any code you are using to weld items to characters and verifying that it is not running on Accessories incorrectly.

I know that it is a bit off topic on what you said, but the Londoner package has arms that are way off their pivoting point, and it’s really difficult for me to actually wear it because of the arm placement. (slight ocd)

I hope it can be fixed :smiley:

2 Likes

Not sure if this is related but I was just changing the hats on my character and all of my thumbnails showing me wearing 4 hats:
https://t0.rbxcdn.com/af69d398763482499a7e6b54e0554b40?.png

On my profile under the currently wearing section only 3 of the 4 show up.

Definitely not complaining though

Edit: oops broke it not even thinking.

How were you wearing your hats? Website? In-game avatar editor? Item page?

On the website avatar page. I was first wearing Clockwork’s Shades + Red Domino (in that order) and then put on Black Sparkle Time + Duke of the Federation + Rainbow Shaggy.

I went to go refresh my devforum picture and noticed I still had my red domino on in the thumbnail.

Shouldn’t this cape be connected to the torso/shoulders?

Edit: I think TheGamer101 is on the case.

2 Likes

We’ll have this one fixed soon. Thanks for noticing.

2 Likes

@Merely will it be fixed? ;D

Initially, it will be the same as R6. But we will be reviewing body parts for R15 further after we have completed the initial conversion.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

These robot tentacles should probably be attached to the back instead of the head.

It seems ROBLOX prematurely released Accessories on the site. https://www.roblox.com/catalog/553724913/Shinestone-Eyes-Sapphire-Sass

There’s no way to equip the three Shades that were just released except by the item’s page in the catalog (and they’re not visible in the catalog either)

5 Likes

This item hasn’t been converted to use the new attachments system yet. We are going to convert the remaining catalog items soon.

3 Likes

A blog post about the accessories rollout is up. We’re planning to update the asset types on the website tomorrow. http://blog.roblox.com/2016/11/changing-hats-to-accessories/

3 Likes

Any news on what the limits on customization will be since the conversion has started? There was no mention of it on the blog post. By customization limits I’m referring to the 1 hat per category. The initial plan was to allow 1 hat per category, but that would break a lot of existing, good-looking outfits. Earlier I suggested to not limit per category but limit the total number of accessories to #categories, which would be a good solution as both implementations allow for equipping up to eight accessories but this allows for more customization.

During the rollout, the limit will be 3 total, of any accessory type, so any existing hat combinations will be valid. We are investigating changing it afterwards.

2 Likes

After thinking on what @Brouhahaha mentioned, I’d like to add something to the discussion of hat limitations. The concern was that allowing multiple accessories per category would result in nonsensible customizations. I initially passed it off as “user’s avatar; their choice”, but I can see where that concern was coming from. When customizing my avatar, I frequently run into issues where hats are clipping and they look ugly, so I understand the disdain for conflicting hats. These clipping issues have even become the norm on ROBLOX, which I’m sure doesn’t improve ROBLOX’s image.

These clipping issues though rarely arise from desire though. They crop up because of lack of customization options. If users are limited to one accessory per category, we’re tackling the symptom and not the cause. Users will have even less customization options, and the root issue remains unresolved. What are the customization issues players have? Here are some that I’ve observed:

• Non-diverse hair options
  • Hair clips through many helmets/hats/etc
  • I can’t get the coverage I want from accessories (e.g. I want a full-face helmet but can’t find one I like)

I still believe it necessary for users to be able to clip hats to retain customization options, but long term there are some things we can do to phase out hat clipping while still empowering customization:

• Provide a plethora of hair options so that users don’t need to mix and match them
  • Somehow make hair compatible with various hats/helmets
  • Potentially create two models: the default, and one that’s close to a buzz cut based off of the default model that’s substituted in whenever a conflicting hat is worn
  • Provide accessories for accessories
  • Provide “sub-accessories” for popular hats instead of just retexturing them
  • I can toggle a visor, mouth guard, etc for a helmet
  • I can switch between a variety of horn styles on a monster helmet
  • I can opt to only have one tusk on an orc mask or remove both
  • I can change the hilt on my swordpack
  • I can add a flower to my tophat

Again, these are long-term solutions that probably rival this current change in magnitude, though potentially they could be gradually introduced instead of offering these options for all accessories at once. All in all, I believe that users should be encouraged out of hat clipping – not forced, even if it has to happen gradually.

9 Likes

There are almost 6 pages of hair though.

Also, hat clipping is like the best part of Roblox’s customization. It’s what makes finding creative hat combos fun, like people putting the antennae hat through eggs to make it look like eyeballs.

I agree that we should never ever limit people to only one accessory of each type though.

3 Likes

A lot of those hair pieces are either retextures and/or tacky e.g.

And even the good options sometimes have addons tacked on that should be separate accessories that may ruin the style you’re trying to achieve:

Even including all of the hair options though (~400 if all of those 6 pages are hair), they’re not very diverse. Take a look at some of the hair mods Bethesda games see and compare that that to the ROBLOX catalog. I think the popular ones typically offer ~100 hair models, but provide way more diversity than ROBLOX does. Even mods that include only 30 provide a better selection.

2 Likes