Changes to Thumbnail/Icon System

To “help distinguish your game from the competition”, which let’s face it, these just can’t do and can’t be expected to do. The brand logo is probably okay for a default.

1 Like

I do not like how this affects all games, new and old. I would’ve preferred to have this only affect new games rather than older ones. Also, you couldn’t spend 5 minutes picking out nice looking images or even making custom ones(or ripping them from the Roblox Anthem video)? The images all look very amateurish and cheap. The one of the office building also does not reflect what Roblox is like nowadays, it would’ve been more suiting a decade ago.

12 Likes
Gonezo was my old post, but Roblox still needs to listen to their own image's advice

http://i.imgur.com/z5JsMTe.jpg

None of this should have been dropped on us mid-afternoon on a Friday with images that are not at all neutral to the game it’s supposed to represent. Something neutral like a red Roblox tilted O on a white background that doesn’t falsely advertise the game while giving us a weeks notice would have sufficed.

Not to mention we already wait anywhere between 1 minute to 8+ hours for a single image to be moderated. Heaven knows how long all of this moderation is going to take.

13 Likes

Some answers:

• Game icons can be updated anytime for free, as always
  • You can generate a “place geometry” thumbnail for free just like before using camera placement on save in studio to define the viewing angle
  • This update will bring all icons through moderation at a reasonable rate
  • We realize these icons may not be preferred by developers thus the ease of change as part of this update
  • On the issue of communication with developers being earlier, I agree wholeheartedly and we are working on bringing in new staff just to help fix this problem
4 Likes

It looks like the games got moderated because all of these thumbnails look like starter places.

7 Likes

Can we get a way to generate the game icon from the place geometry like it was before this update? I have a lot of old games that I do not want to spend time making game icons for, I would just prefer to have the old game icons back.

13 Likes

They would be substantially better if they were neutral – something that obviously doesn’t represent the game. For instance, something like this that @Crykee made:

I see no justifiable reason to mislead players with believable icons/thumbnails that are completely unrelated to the game, so if given the chance we should definitely replace them with neutral thumbnails/icons. Ease of change isn’t enough because so many places with these icons are no longer being updated.

40 Likes

Can we please set place icons to be the cropped thumbnail like the old default?[quote=“JParty, post:26, topic:33289”]
We realize these icons may not be preferred by developers thus the ease of change as part of this update
[/quote]

What about old places? Couldn’t they just keep the old thumbnails?

I totally see the reasoning behind this, but a there are a few simple changes that would’ve reduced the disruption caused and I feel they could have been solved before going live had this been communicated to us.

8 Likes

Being forced to take a picture and upload it as a game icon every time we want to move the camera angle is not ease. Please provide us a way to use generated game icons.

8 Likes

Talked with someone and they said game icons will have the autogen feature soon.

-Merely on Reddit

4 Likes

Yup!

We are listening to the feedback on Icon auto-generation and working to get that feature updated as fast as possible.

20 Likes

Thanks Justin!

ಠ_ಠ

17 Likes

(╯ರ ~ ರ)╯︵ ┻━┻

7 Likes

IMO this shouldn’t be default on old games because the auto-generated thumbnails were created intentionally…

For new games, I’m all for it.

Edit: I have to go back through my 100 places and change each one back, lol

25 Likes

I pressed “Create New Place”… and it appears I have 347 places to change… dang.mp4.

7 Likes

I think it should just be the ROBLOX name on the game w/ thumbnails. Being different and looking like starter places makes it harder to distinguish which is default and not…

4 Likes

I agree that Roblox needs to take action on this issue. Nothing is really changing, they just wanted to add an extra layer of security to prevent people from hacking in an inappropriate thumbnail without moderation. You literally just have to press a button and it’ll be checked for free.

I do agree with some of the concerns here though, automation for older games needs to be addressed, as this move was a bit hasty and could have been done better.

Here’s the best course of action I see for moderation:
When a user visits the page of a place that hasn’t had its thumbnail updated…

• Generate a hash string of the places rendered thumbnail.
  • If it produces a hash that hasn’t been penned before…
  • Render the game thumbnail and icon, and push it into the moderation queue
  • Put priority on pending thumbnails for games that are actually being played
  • Otherwise if an thumbnail has been generated already
  • Recycle the game thumbnail and apply it.

This should resolve most of the active cases pretty quickly.

9 Likes

Made a script that replaces all default game icons with one that doesn’t false-advertise.
You can drag it into Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and should do the trick.
Works on the full-size game page card style as well as search/favorites smaller card size.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63247610/ReplaceDefaultGameIcons.js
(it’s extremely badly written code but I don’t know JavaScript okay)

25 Likes