Changes to Thumbnail/Icon System

The mystery of the report button…

Does it work?
Has it ever worked?
Is its all a conspiracy?

24 Likes

Wouldn’t be surprised if there are people that don’t bother reporting inappropriate content because people get zero feedback on their filed reports and they think it doesn’t work.

I know I feel like it doesn’t do anything sometimes contrary to knowing it actually does work.

8 Likes

Well I must say this update is pretty random, and I’m not quite sure what the main point of this update actually is (especially due to their impact on classic/old games that don’t get updated, making them look falsely-advertised).

But as for the possible reason of moderation, I agree with others that it’s like punishing all roblox users for the fault of a few. Additionally, this update can even make users be less convinced/attracted to visit games (particularly if the creator isn’t active anymore and their place thumbnail is looking just like almost any other non-updated game).

Just a proposal of mine (not sure if others have proposed this but I’ve seen something similar): this update should be for new places, rather than the ones that were created before this update (or at least some time period before the update, for example - places created ~1 month before it).

11 Likes

I see the point of this butI think they should just be solid colours because they could have no link to the type of game.

The problem isn’t necessarily the place thumbnail itself, it’s the fact that you can link to an unmoderated image asset (in this case, the place thumbnail) and have it render in-game as if it were approved.

5 Likes

Considering this feature appears to be here to stay, I really would like to mention a compromise that would probably get us all to stop having issues with this update while actually accomplishing the task at hand.

1. Keep all places without preset thumbnails have these default thumbnails. I’d personally prefer having more neutral thumbnails with solid backgrounds, but that’s besides the point.
  2. Allow anyone on the RBXDev beta to preview what the previous thumbnail was, and approve it if there’s nothing wrong or inappropriate with it.
  3. Remove all abusers of this feature from RBXDev.

From a technicality perspective, it might require some work, but I think it’s work that would be well worth the prevention of practical removal of history from many of the old Roblox places.

7 Likes

Now ROBLOX+ Version Thumbnails are useless.

11 Likes

looks like I’ll be removing that from my extension

8 Likes

My two big concerns with this update:

• Searching games tells you nothing because all of the icons are default.

• Video thumbnails still cost R$500 in comparison to image thumbnails, which cost R$10. You can upload 50 image thumbnails for the price of one video thumbnail. Do video thumbnails seriously take that much longer to moderate? They’re only 30 seconds at maximum. Surely if the issue with video thumbnails causing them to cost 50x as much as image thumbnails was due to flooding, Roblox wouldn’t have decided on R$10 for image thumbnails because checking 50 images would surely take more time than checking a 30 second video.

It also seems a bit strange to me that the website is being so brutally punished for what seems to be an issue with moderation.

(And yes, several inappropriate images, audio, etc. have made their way onto the website. I report them as soon as I see them.)

31 Likes

I think this hit the nail on the head. As iterated previously, all this update did was mask inappropriate content. We should not be trying to sweep inappropriate content under the rug. We should deal with the real issue.

12 Likes

Yes, the root of the problem was having thumbnails that weren’t moderated properly, like I said. Now instead of moderating them we got a bunch of generic images plastered over the thumbnails of older games.

4 Likes

Moderating all of them would be chaotic. There are well over 100 million places on Roblox. They needed to make a fast temporary action so that they could control it with the tools they have while they work on setting up automation that can be tackled reasonably.

If they implement automation in the manner I suggested earlier, it should be really easy for the moderation team to tackle a lot of them.

2 Likes

I hope so at least.

7 Likes

That was a very useful feature. Such a shame.

7 Likes

I think we can assume it’s staying, dodge the teapots will remain inconclusive and many games will be confusing.

4 Likes

I mean by now, i’m used to it.

A lot of old game thumbnails have been added to the moderation queue since this update. Classic Dodge The Teapots of Doom has it’s old thumbnail back now.

7 Likes

Is there any reason why the default thumbnails aren’t neutral? The believable thumbnails are misleading, where neutral thumbnails aren’t and clearly communicate that they’re not an accurate representation of what’s in the place, so I would think using neutral thumbnails like this one Crykee made would be preferable:

18 Likes

I love you for doing this and ensuring the legacy of great developers remains protected. It would be neat if all games could go through the ‘auto’ process and any of them that isn’t safe replaced with the default templates but I bet that would be a lot of work - but worth it. As per comments in the thread previously, it’s so frustrating still to look at the generic icons/thumbnails a bunch in a row. Auto-generated thumbnails/icons make it harder to find games and know what it’s about.

1 Like

Thank you for keeping Yorick’s Resting Place’s thumbnail the original one. Much appreciated

4 Likes