Chrome Notifications for Beta Testers!

Could you check what your Chrome version is? I think we require at least Chrome 50.

Would only game join notifications from people you follow make it less spammy? And maybe a threshold where, per-person, notifications can only pop up every x minutes (to mitigate notifications for when people keep rejoining games)

We’re thinking of limiting the number of notifications you receive. It just means that you might miss some notifications if too many happen within the same time period. We’ll definitely have to play around with the threshold.

1 Like

We’re looking into an option to turn notifications off while a user is in-game. Alternatively, these notifications don’t show up if you’re playing on full screen.

I use Roblox+ right now for notifications such as when a player joins a game and I can simply click “Follow” without needing to go to their profile.

In regards to it being spammy, I don’t have many friends on my profile however, I’ve not found it spammy as such and also since we can select what notifications we get. We can disable notifications for those that become spammy in the first place.

I personally think it will be a good feature to have.

Some options I thought up:

• Friends online - Playing game - Friend Requests
  • Friend’s statuses
  • Friends commenting on my games
  • Friend Developing through ROBLOX Studio
  • Group Shouts
  • Group milestones - Member count
  • Group game created
  • Group game made active or inactive
  • Chat messages
  • Private messages
  • ROBLOX badges earnt
  • Replies to Forum posts
  • Item trades
  • Limiteds bought
  • Limiteds released
  • Limiteds sold out
  • Game getting on featured sort
  • Game getting on XBox
  • Game hitting milestones - Concurrent players - Visits - Profits
  • DevEx failed/successful notifications
  • ROBLOX Blog posts
  • Official ROBLOX Events - Prior to event too
  • Clothing/Model Milestones - Sales - Profits
3 Likes

You get a private message when this happens right? So that would be superfluous. I like the rest though, although some (like XBOX one) seem a little niche or only happen once in weeks.

1 Like

We already have notifications for chat messages. Will look at the rest.

2 Likes

Oh jeez, if these officially become a thing I hope there are individual toggles for each.

2 Likes

Here is what the settings page looks like now:

Is this what you mean by individual toggles? There’s an overall switch for push notifications, and then there are individual checkboxes for each type of notification.

4 Likes

Could do something like suggested by @EchoReaper, as in disable for certain groups in particular. I don’t think this is an issue if we’re able to disable the option for specific groups, because even if a group does spam you either you can turn it off or you can leave the group entirely. It should also be modifiable by the leader of the group whether or not they want to push notifications out. As always, there should be an option to disable group notifications on the account page.

This would be something I would actually die for, and I’m strongly urging that you please add this sort of feature for groups – not only would it be beneficial to give members bases immediate updates on group places, but roleplay groups such as war clans and country group events would be more easily accessible by more individuals.

1 Like

I’m using 49.0.2623.87, so that explains it.

@Caelestene Please, do seriously consider adding notifications for group shouts. Whether they’re enabled by default or not, they will immensely help the organization of groups of all kinds on ROBLOX. Another benefit to this would be that the need for Merely’s Group Extension would be significantly lower, and group leaders would have less incentive to encourage users to make their way to the Chrome Extension store, which can often lead to accounts being compromised by unsavory extensions if the user is not careful.

7 Likes

I keep getting notifications saying something like “New activity has occurred” and it’s quite annoying because they don’t specify what happened. I think it’s when my browser is closed and I receive multiple friend requests.

Have you considered collapsing multiple messages of the same type (e.g. You have 5 new friend requests)?

3 Likes

Can you check your Chrome version? Soothsayers who turned on Chrome notifications with an older version have been experiencing the problem. We upped the requirement to Chrome 50, so this problem shouldn’t happen for beta testers, but might occur for soothsayers. “New activity has occurred” also happens if you’re logged out, I think. If you could send a screenshot of your console while this happens, we can figure out what’s going on.

In terms of stacking, we update an existing notification with the new notification if it’s the same type. I think that’s useful for chat messages, but maybe not as useful for friend requests / new followers. We can look into stacking differently.

Could you comment on events you plan to add to chrome notifications that you guys have confirmed to be on the roadmap?

I’m really interested in group shout notifications, so I really want to know the progress on that and if it’ll be occurring.

The next couple will be: new follower, new PM, and new invite to a VIP server.

5 Likes

I’m still having issues were the notifications turn them self off, and once i turn them on, they auto turn off.
Is there any big reasons why this would happend?

Which notification types are you trying to turn on?

It was the notification box it self.
It just deactivated it self.
But it seems to be working fine in chrome today.