Crippling Developers & Roblox Communities - An Argument for the Reversal of the Blanket Discord Ban

Could you please explain to me how it disproves my argument? I don’t really follow how it does rip

3 Likes

Let’s take this issue and turn it into a feature.
You can suggest improvements to the Discord team though their dedicated server and website. Just head there, suggest the idea and maybe it’ll be added.

3 Likes

As already pointed out:

• Discord is a powerful tool for developers to hang around with each other and with their fans. The was it is designed allows the developer to be in close contact with them, and vice-versa. It does a quite good job in aggregating the community together!

• Roblox, as of now, is waaaaaaaaaaaay too far from the “social media” concept it alse aims for. The filter and strict rules, even when we’re talking about a 13+ to 13+ conversation, makes it impossible to have a normal conversation. Developers and players wouldn’t be able to communicate, whether it were serious development matters or just memes!

• And, as stated above: Discord is the perfect place to get feedback for your projects. The place where you can get a response in a meaningful time.

Yes, I do understand that Roblox doesn’t want to be crushed by overzealous parents’ complaints (some are likely pointless though) or, even worse, by social media. But, for accounts being 13+, the system must to be more lenient! In a long shot, it’s your profit that is at stake!

Well, what can the platform do?

Make Discord links available for 13+ only. If an user is really 13+, there shouldn’t be a legal hassle. If he or she lies about it, the responsability shouldn’t go to the platform’s end. If the law says otherwise, that’s pretty strange.

It’s simple: filter scans the text; a discord link is identified.
create a <13 version where that link is filtered out and a 13+ version where that doesn’t happen.

Depending on the account age, either version is shown. If it’s that simple, and if it is a doable solution, then it is subject to generally please both sides: the parents and the older playerbase.

But this opens another hassle: what if links are posted inside the game?! It does count as developer text and therefore is not filtered. We could eventually add a feature (api-wise) that tells if player x is <13 or 13+ (without specifying birthdate) and hide the link based on the result. But not every developer will respect that, so, on that matter, yes, Discord links should be banned in-game but not necessarily in the site, as long as we can split the younger playerbase

38 Likes

My exact argument from the thread of them banning Discord links:

Discord is private and 13+, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Twitch, etc. are also 13+… but public. Anyone can go to a public social media page and scroll through posts without having to log in, so requiring users to register is even safer because then, unless they are breaking ToS, children under 13 cannot view chats that may be inappropriate for them. Meanwhile anyone can link to a post on social media that is NSFW and it won’t get taken down until it’s reported and this is a greater threat to children because there is no requirement to be logged in.

10 Likes

Plus it exposes the children to the existence of sites like this in the future so at any time they can decide to view inappropriate content… with no knowledge at all of this on their parents’ end.

3 Likes

While the “pettiness” may not even be there, or at least it may be so subtle it is unnoticeable, it certainly feels like a lot of people are arguing for the sake of it.

I agree that safety is a huge thing, however in the many debates that I have had with people over this specific issue, none of the points made by the opposing parties have given any enlightenment to support the ban against the use of Discord within Roblox.

I am also not saying that the developers that used discord as a development tool were perfect and so Discord had every right to deal with them in a manner that suited their preference however this is straying away from the point I had made and could be seen as a different issue completely; though it does coincide with the coincidental timing of the ban against using Discord and the ban against using webhooks from Roblox to Discord.

I admit that I could have worded my point in the said post a little less “harshly” however, my point stands and I believe it is a valid perspective.

2 Likes

Another idea is to possibly allow it somehow not display for users under 13, such as a new API or system that just outright won’t allow those users to see the link, and require developers to use this system in order to display it at all.

11 Likes

After further investigating the dates of which both events happened, I have noticed that there is in fact no correlation between the two despite there seeming to be one. I apologise for this minor error in my fact finding. (This statement does not invalidate my point however.)

3 Likes

I guess it is; to me it just doesn’t make sense as something that would happen.

While adults, as humans, are stilled flawed, it’s unheard of on a scale like this simply because there are way more consequences (and potential consequences) as well as obstacles in the way of them accomplishing petty goals.

But hey, whatever.

And as for the lack of proper arguments against Discord on Roblox:

• Inappropriate content in discord servers, and they are potentially unmoderated.
  • Even moderated content would be considered inappropriate due to official Roblox safety features (such as text filtering) not being present in the server.
  • If the link to the server is on Roblox, it is technically endorsed by Roblox (unless stated specifically otherwise, which would be impossible to enforce fully), which would cause havoc in a legal/PR situation.
  • It’s just dangerous for younger kids (paedophiles or whatever).
  • Bad PR from issues caused from all the above.

Anyone, feel free to add more. A comprehensive and concise list of issues with Discord on Roblox can help us validate/improve our arguments.

4 Likes

I agree. I know many of these servers put a lot of work ensuring that the servers are moderated correctly, and managing the team is a lot of work, but we try to follow similar guidelines to Roblox to make things “kid friendly.”

Personally, managing Jailbreak’s Discord server, we try to make sure that we maintain the highest standard of keeping things clean and tidy, and not being able to inform all enthusiasts of Jailbreak about the server is disappointing. There’s always a new users that joins saying that “wow, i had no idea there was a discord server!” to this day is surprising, as the server has existed for more than a year. The barrier that is set up that prevents developers from sharing communities just prevents communities from happening. “Groups” in Roblox are hardly sufficient for it, and Discord is a much better platform to build communities on. I think it would be great if Roblox paid more attention to (Roblox) Developer relationships to the playerbase, as that’s a huge part of the whole idea of Roblox, and neglecting it is pretty disappointing.

I think there’s a huge conflict of interest if Twitter is allowed, but Discord isn’t. Either both should be allowed, or neither of them should be allowed. Anything on Twitter can be just as NSFW as anything on Discord, so why is Twitter allowed? If the argument is that you cannot see content on Discord without creating an account (keep in mind Discord’s ToS states that users need to be 13+… although just as any other site on the internet, it’s not that hard to get around it - Twitter has the same exact thing, requiring users to be 13+), I don’t see how it is justified as it would be assumed (despite knowing the real truth that it’s not) that users are 13+.

To allow one service but not the other makes no sense. There’s many solutions to the problem that have been presented in this topic. To not implement them just comes off as straight up ignoring the problem.

19 Likes

not sure if this is always up to date, but the RoVer website displays this on the homepage:

picture

tdoq51E

11 Likes

Another interesting statistic: Skype’s been around for almost 15 years, with roughly 300 million active users. Discord’s been around for only 1/5th that time and is already at 130 million users.

13 Likes

How is this even an argument. Twitter And Facebook both share this policy.

2 Likes

Thank you bayat!

1 Like

I feel like they should have some people from the Dev rel team or some other community team join a Discord server, see what the server is like for 2-3 weeks and if it’s abiding by certain standards, whitelist the server to be advertised on Roblox.

That is if they choose not to allow Discord on Roblox completely.

2 Likes

Not very good on resources, though, RIP.

So let’s hope they lift the Discord ban!

9 Likes

I think over 200 likes within 4 hours on a post is telling of how everybody in this community feels about the discord ban. I’ve never seen anything like that on these Forums.
Discord is powerful for communities and developers and you made that so clear here. Your solution also seems really sensible! :+1:
We would love to invite players to the Jailbreak discord again.

69 Likes

Why not link the server through a twitter tweet?

You aren’t directly linking the server through the site.

Using a tweet to link to something else, like Discord, is not allowed as well.

2 Likes