Don't ever wipe VIP servers for any reason

When someone buys a VIP server, they are spending Robux in return for a product that will last one month.

For a developer, changing the settings of a place is like a minefield. And when a mistake is made, thousands of users are out of their product and out of their Robux.

The thing is, it makes absolutely no sense to delete VIP servers from a game under any circumstance. It really just seems like this behavior was added just so that an engineer wouldn’t have to write any special cases.

If a game is taken down, don’t instantly wipe tens of thousands of Robux purchases! Instead, when it is time for a VIP server to renew, check if the game is up, and if it is not then do not renew.

I changed the privacy of a single place within my game for one minute, and now thousands of users just lost what they paid for AND their money. I have no way of refunding them, or even knowing who was affected.

Does this behavior sound right to anyone??

37 Likes

I believe this was just a simple fix to a problem that came up on the planning board

What about when the dev takes down the game?

Eh, just cancel all the subscriptions.

I don’t think it was given much thought. I generally propose easy to shoot down ideas, so feel free to shoot this one down, but I don’t see a problem with freezing subscriptions in time while a game is down. This makes for happy customers as they know they get their money’s worth.

3 Likes

There are many possible options. All are better than what we have now

3 Likes

The other edge case where VIP servers wipe is when the price is changed. When it comes time to renew, there should be a notification sent to the user with options to keep subscribed or cancel subscription. By default put the subscription on “hold” / functionality as cancelled. If the user goes to the games detail page with the VIP server in question, make a popup similar to when you are buying a catalog item (it matches web desgin that way)

7 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up.

We have decided to remove the functionality where all VIP servers are automatically cancelled when making a game private. There are legitimate reasons for making a game private, e.g. your game has a bug which is causing players to lose data, and you shouldn’t have to choose between losing money and losing player data.

22 Likes

Just to follow up on this thread – making a game private no longer cancels VIP servers. We will be updating the confirmation dialog in Studio to reflect this.

10 Likes