'Exile' in groups with option for permanent/temporal ban

Every group in existence has managed to get scripts for themselves whether it be admin commands, weapon scripts, a capture point system, etc without any requiring of scripting knowledge. There are always ways, including free ones, to get what you need. When ROBLOX creates an in-game API to change group ranks, the first thing I’d do with it is make a free model that allows any group to set it up without any scripting knowledge whatsoever.

I don’t think you do. Banning someone’s alt isn’t possible even for ROBLOX. It’s not realistically possible to distinguish a person on the internet because of how it works.

If someone wants to rejoin your group, that’s what they’re going to do. If they want to rejoin your group but you ban their main, they’ll join on another account because they want to rejoin your group. Any person who wants to rejoin and harass your group isn’t going to be deterred by having to create a new account.

Any one of the many people who join your group could be the alt of one of the people you banned – it’s possible any one of them could be out to cause problems with your group. The only way to solve the issue is to limit every single person who joins your group, but only so much that the only people it bothers are the ones who have to do it multiple times.

1 Like

Unfortunately not in my case.

That group is there for moderating a game thelolguy301 and I are making. Yes, thelolguy301 can definitely script it, but I’m in charge of this which means I’m supposed to understand all it says.
I understand the fact that there’s free ways, but it still requires applying to your needs.
I do not understand the fact that something that’s on the site, is supposed to be maintained in-game. That’s not clear to me.

Of course it’s not, hence I said

I’m a Moderator, little off topic apologies for that, on Stormfall, there’s a lot of alts too. I’m assured not just ROBLOX and that game have alt problems. Only way of reducing it, is narrowing the possibilities of making or giving the use to make alts. (Aka. This idea will narrow the reason to make an alt to join groups and troll around)

This didn’t happen in my case. A player called SoiidBlocks (My name name-sniped) has been rejoining constantly and made numerous alts just for being rather disturbing. I had to make a ‘Pending …’ rank, just like @Brick_man to get rid of him. But it’s difficult to maintain, as others, who don’t have such intentions, are surely welcome!

I didn’t get that exactly, I apologize, could you please explain me?

Either way I believe it’s worth it, I believe many people can have benefits from this. I do at least.

Well I’m sorry but right now no one has mentioned a better alternative. Your suggestion is a pipe dream that won’t work – if there’s any testimony to that it’s how ineffective banning is, it’s account thieves on ROBLOX since they always return under a new account.

You can accomplish this with what I suggested. By requiring someone to spend a day per account just to get posting privileges you make alts significantly less useful.

It’s sounding that’s exactly what happened. You said he was making multiple alts to mess with your group like I suggested what would happen when his main account was prevented from getting into the group.

Sounding very unlikely after you just explained that someone was making alts to harass your group (something banning their main account wouldn’t solve)

Someone gets banned from your group and then you get 10 join requests. One of them is the alt of the person you banned. How do you tell? You can’t. You have a 90% chance of guessing wrong. The only way to stop the alt with 100% accuracy is to assume all the applicants are the alt.

Banning accounts from a group should be a basic functionality. We can block users from our account, groups should have a similar option.

3 Likes

If you explained that very sentence earlier, then I would’ve understood.
So what you meant is that players should play the game or wait for at least 1 day till they can post stuff in the group?
Sounds good, but like @Digital_Boy has mentioned, it should be a basic functionality.

Unfortunatly, it has been requested a lot of times without any form of admin response.
Admins, this is getting ridiculous. If you aren’t going to implement it, please tell us.

8 Likes

They don’t weigh in on these kinds of threads precisely because of comments like that. People harassing groups is an insanely annoying problem that everyone hates and wants to solve ASAP. If the staff posted that banning was a pipe dream, all they’d get in response would be arguing for why it would work since people are desperate for anything to solve the issue, even if it wouldn’t work. The Avatar 2.0 threads are a prime example of the kind of discussion that goes on in this community when posts start being made without level heads. Nothing constructive would come of them telling you banning wouldn’t solve the issue.

You must have never had to block someone before on ROBLOX because the feature is entirely useless. It wasn’t too long ago that we had a thread posted about some guy continually making alts and bypassing the block on the other accounts to harass someone.

1.) exile people permanently in group
2.) new group option: “You must be verified to post in this group”

then alt accounts that harass via group would have a track to their actual owner

only problem i can foresee is temporary email providers, but at that point, you should rely on actual people moderating your group to silence any unruly alt accounts

4 Likes

Accounts less than a day old shouldn’t be able to post in groups either.

4 Likes

Or join.

3 Likes

That sounds neat!

1 Like

Not possible

Would help, but all it would do is delay the person for a day. They could pre-make alt accounts in the same day and then a day later be able to continually join your group. I imagine any one who enjoys trolling on alts would have built up a big collection by now (I have 20 alt accounts that are from 2012 for instance), so they may not even need to wait a day.

I disagree with the notion that people can “just make alts” (I may just be going on a tangent, but I feel like I need to add my input on this ‘alts’ reason).

If I want to blacklist someone from my group, I want their main blacklisted because that’s the account they have with the most notoriety in the community. That’s the account their going to use the most. My group currently has a functional ingame global banlist from places, and adding people to this works wonders even though they “can just make alts”. No one wants to join the group and get serious in it because they want to do it on their main account not an alt. Are they joining just to harass the group? Well guess what, exiling them right now does NOTHING to solve that. As it currently stands they can just keep rejoining and continue to harass the group. Yeah, sure they can make an alt but who cares? All it’ll be used for is most likely just to cause issues that they could’ve caused on their main account and they will most likely not get serious on that account in the group.

For example, if we have an individual in a group that spent a month or two climbing the ranks (like in a war clan) cause issues consistently they can just be blacklisted from the group. Tell me what would motivate this person to create a new account just to a) harass the group (they won’t be taken seriously and will be treated like just another alternate account) or b) advance in the group again after they lost everything.

If those are seriously the reasons why we aren’t making this a thing (because they can just make an alternate account and continue) then I guess bans on ROBLOX in general are worthless to do because of the same reason. We know this is very much false, why would I want to continue on a new account if I just lost my account permanently with all these cool items, games, … etc. If I make alts to spam the forums, then epic I’ll just get another ban and my spam wiped away (like you can already do in groups by exiling with deleting the comments of the user).

Sure, we’ll have outliers – we always do, but most people will quit at that.

7 Likes

I agree with @Polymorphic. People can just make alternate accounts in any game, that doesn’t mean banning people is meaningless.

2 Likes

Their main account sitting in the no-privilege rank has the same effect as banning them. They can’t do anything to harm the group.

Neither does banning

So, what you’re saying is that banning won’t help with alts, but it’s useful because it prevents them from getting serious with the group? After losing everything I imagine that’d be deterrent enough to prevent them from ever trying to get their rank back again.

Nothing likely would. Taking away their rank already took care of that. You wouldn’t need to ban their account (only exile them and take away their rank) because like you said they’re not going to want to advance in the group again after losing everything.

Bans are more effective on ROBLOX because peoples’ items, places, friends, etc are at stake when they lose an account. Banning someone takes away all they have. With groups, exiling has the same effect.

• Groups should be able to ban users from them
  • Groups shouldn’t be able to ban users from them

0 voters

1 Like

A poll is stupid and nonconstructive. We’ve already been over that this is an annoying problem and that everyone is desperate for a solution, even if it doesn’t work. Wanting group banning en masse doesn’t make it any less of a pipe dream.

Calm down, it was just a poll.

6 Likes

with obvious intentions of “proving” that bans work