Extra Credits - Information Dump

This thread is for sharing your favorite Extra Credits videos and what you learned from them. If you haven’t seen any Extra Credits videos, I’d suggest you go check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCODtTcd5M1JavPCOr_Uydg

Here’s my video:

Whenever you work on a project, you should aim to have a Minimum Viable Product done as soon as possible. It’s easy to polish your game during development but it’s not a great idea to build on features and mechanics that are untested. Shoot to have some sort of playable version of your game done early in the development process so that you can test as you move along. Not only will it allow you to improve the game with early play testing and mechanics testing but having some sort of usable and constantly improving state of your game will encourage you to continue working :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love extra credits, they always give an interesting and well thought of point of view on whatever they’re talking about. I personally loved this video because it has some ideas that I think would work very well on ROBLOX if tweaked a bit (it really got my mind stirring):

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QJVGtKPjNc[/video]

ROBLOXs front page is already ruled by combat based social games, which in itself is pretty unique thing, but they all feel the same on a mechanical level; You have a weapon, Kill and don’t be killed. I think that the idea of removing competition as a whole from a ROBLOX game could be interesting if done properly.

If given the right goals and tools, and a perfect balance of personal accomplishment and a social environment could not only end up being very profitable, but also fun, and professional. If whatever the game is doesn’t fill out enough, then combat mechanics could be re-added, but in a way where PvP doesn’t feel like one of the main objectives and mechanics of the game.

I have actual ideas for games like this, but I won’t share them because I’m lazy, and I trust no one

I also really like this episode

EDIT: I just remembered you made farming and friends, which is a pretty good example of what I’m talking about

1 Like

Exactly how I’m creating my zombie game, I have plenty of ideas for it but I’m sticking to the basic and essential things needed for the game play such as the zombies basic intelligence and creating a script for managing the waves of zombies and the very basic of an interaction system for objects.

Almost finished with all of that with too, only need to roll the bugs out in the AI intelligence and create the waves. :slight_smile:

Also thank you for the videos, very helpful!

Though Extra Credits has tons of cool concepts and points about making good games, generally, trying to follow their ambiguous rules and apply them to my game is more stressful and time consuming than just doing it, with no clear goal in mind, or just completing the existing clear goals in mind.

1 Like