Further Changes to Playing Ability of Experimental Mode Games

It’s an unfortunate immediate side-effect of the change but when we look into the future where more games are FE enabled by default and scripters learn from the start the importance of FE and proper client-server interaction.

As a result, Little Johny and his friends get a more secure play time and don’t so easily see adult content.

2 Likes

I think Roblox should just force all places to run in non-experimental mode, rather than having this convoluted system of restricting access to certain games. At this point, there’s absolutely no reason why anyone would want their game to be experimental mode anyway.

Not only would this allow old places to be playable again, but this would also solve the problem of numerous games being stuck in experimental mode and being made unplayable because of old places that were made with CreatePlaceAsync (there’s been a lot of confusion in general about games being put in experimental mode when they shouldn’t be).

32 Likes

While it’s beneficial to the company and new players in the long run, I still think Roblox should include a way for us to be able to archive these games.

7 Likes

Some users have suggested single player only.

7 Likes

Seriously, please don’t do this. There are old games that will NEVER be updated to work with filtering for one reason or another but are still incredibly fun to play, and by doing this you are making it so those of us who realistically don’t need to be “protected” (as the case with <13 users) are now blocked from classic/nostalgic/old fun games. While I agree FE should be enabled by default, and non-FE games shouldn’t show up on the games page, I don’t believe you should just completely block people from playing them who want to play them.

33 Likes

What’s your thoughts on the idea shown in post 13? (See above)
Along with your thoughts on the importance of security for Roblox titles, including setting a standard for security?

2 Likes

I like the idea of having it so only friends can join servers with you on “experimental” games. It’s far better than the current solution they’ve now implemented.

8 Likes

Fair enough. Now just seems like a time that Roblox wants to catch up and try and prevent some of the issues presented by some people, although room for improvement is still there.

That would just break many old games (assuming they aren’t completely broken already) so it’s still not a good solution. Best solution would be to just do the single-player or “only friends can join you” idea. No worry of exploiters when you and your friends are the only ones there anyway.

11 Likes

It’s not like y’all actually hop on every week to play these “nostalgic” games, stop complaining about not being able to play them when the last time you actually did was like last year.

Just let old games die, and if you enjoyed playing them, you should try re-creating it if you’re really that eager to get some of your nostalgia back.

6 Likes

I’m mainly concerned about how certain modern games are being forced into experimental mode on accident. There’s basically nobody who seriously plays super old games on the platform anymore, but they should still be available for everyone to examine in some form for historical purposes.

I just really don’t like this system of having to place heavy restrictions on games just because one place in the universe is still experimental mode and/or hasn’t been played yet. Their method of detecting whether a game is experimental mode or not seems to be flawed. I’d rather we just do away with experimental mode altogether.

30 Likes

It’s a shame that that flaw exists and hopefully that is fixed. At least in the mean time, we do have this…

4 Likes

My game is entirely shut down at the moment due to this. But Roblox knew about this problem after the 13+ only version of this FE update, so my question is why didn’t they wait to push the “only friends” part of it until they had this fixed?

6 Likes

As a showcase developer I have been going through many old showcases AND current ones and for what I’ve seen is that 90% of them are now unplayable. What I get from this is that Roblox just killed the majority of the showcase community as majority of the owners of the places are now inactive or quit Roblox overall. This update alone has cut off a majority of other games which will probably will never be open again if this update continues to exist. I cannot begin to describe how I feel about this update, it just killed why I’ve been on Roblox for so long and personally if this doesn’t get fixed I will have to stop being on this platform. I cannot stand by while hundreds of hours of work get blocked because there is a lack of security which can be fixed in many other ways.:confused::neutral_face:

28 Likes

I don’t know the answer. As I said before…

1 Like

I apologize if someone else posted this idea already (too lazy to read all the comments). Anyway, I thought it would have been a better idea to just either…

A. Create a category for games without filtering enabled. These games would be removed from the normal search engine and would remain hidden. However, users could check a box that shows places that do not have filtering enabled. I’d imagine it should probably be 13+.

B. Set all new places to be filtering enabled by default.

Overall, I think this is both a benefit and a huge loss. Exploiters won’t have have the same annoying presence they once had prior to FE. But on the other hand, we’ve lost hundreds of nostalgic games. Even if they’re broken or whatever, they were simply a reminder of how much Roblox has changed. I also have a feeling lots of new coders will have an issue understanding FE.

14 Likes

Problem is that some of those children actively look for sex places and when their parents find out they blame Roblox. The age also doesnt work very well because most children online lie about their age.

4 Likes

Soooo
What can we
A. do about classic games we can longer play because the creators are no longer active;
B. do about our games being shutdown/restricted AS SOON AS WE ADD A NEW PLACE TO THE GAME
and
C. do about a lack of any sign of removing auto-experimental mode through createplaceasync or adding a place to a game that auto-enables experimental mode?

Both B and C makes developers waste hours try to get their games to not be EM, especially when CreatePlaceAsync can make around 300-500 places.

I think a solution to both B and C would be so any places added under a secure game are automatically not experimental mode. Current behavior is horribly inefficient and is honestly an extremely stupid idea to have.

3 Likes

Yeah, that is an issue. However, I don’t think this update can stop them either. If someone makes a…game of that sort, they can just invite their friends over the that place and have…blocky fun…

Also don’t forget, Roblox made a bride toy.

4 Likes

Fair point, Roblox is just trying to minimoze the chances of these sorts of things happening and the classic games are a victim of this but there isnt a much better way I think.