Giant R15 characters spin if they touch anything

If the arms, torso, or head of a giant R15 character touch a part that can collide (anchoring doesn’t matter), then the character may start spinning.
Accessories and legs touching something has no effect.
It is noteworthy that the bug can be triggered by the character’s arms touching something, since they cannot collide with anything and thus cannot cause a physical effect; so the bug likely has something to do with how characters are programmed to respond to touching something.

Reproduction method:

1. Scale an R15 character by 10x
  2. Place a part such that the character’s arms, torso, or head can touch it
  3. Walk towards or past the part, such that you touch it with any of the aforementioned parts
  4. The character may start spinning for about a second and a half. This spinning can be at any speed, including zero, which means the character just stops orienting themselves towards their movement direction

There’s an alternate reproduction method for this bug which is caused by character movement, and not contact.

1. Scale an R15 character by 10x
  2. Go into third person, and press S so that the character faces towards the camera
  3. Jump
  4. At the instant of landing, hold W
  5. If timed right, the character will spin

Bug reproduced by EchoReaper, using method 2:
https://gfycat.com/ScarceScholarlyDog

13 Likes

similar stuff happened to me when wearing a lot of heavy hats/packages when hats had weight

1 Like

One of the large creatures in my game that uses R6 also experiences this spinning issue but with different reproduction steps, so it may not be limited to R15.

2 Likes

I have reported this internally. Thank you.

2 Likes

Is the internal report system a pile of bugs that is fixed in random order, or has the report just been buried to never be seen again?
Because this bug still exists, 3 months later.

5 Likes

This still exists even after five months later, and I’d appreciate if we could get a fix on this.

(accidentally replied to someone)

2 Likes

Agreed, any updates on this?

Character simulation was tuned around base size characters of mass 14.5 or so. By enlarging something with a vector of (10, 10, 10) you increase its mass by 1000x, which causes issues with predetermined values.

We will be rolling update tomorrow (I think) to resolve the turning issues. I’m also doing an additional pass through our character simulation code to make sure we don’t have any other places that assume that character mass is 14.5 or so.

3 Likes

I’m still having issues with the spinning, was the issue resolved in that update or is it possible that I could look forward to an update coming soon?

This is what I’m getting here:

There’s so many issues associated with the Humanoid class that I’d suggest beginning to split it apart to allow for easier debugging. Many things that the Humanoid class does could be done with character scripts instead, without breaking compatibility with anything.

I think the two behaviours in Humanoid that have the least reason to be in Humanoid and the most reason to be in character scripts are:

• Breaking apart on death
  • Character resizing

Both of these could be taken out of Humanoid without breaking existing games, and force workarounds from developers because they’re buggy.

If you could get Humanoid down to half its size, code maintenance will be way easier.

1 Like

Hey guys, the update I mentioned didn’t ship when I thought it would. My apologies. Investigating timeline right now.

1 Like

The reason it was delayed was because it somehow got skipped by QA the first time it was on the way out. New ETA for this fix is Monday.

1 Like

Apparently I lied about this ETA. This just got enabled. Can someone verify if this works for them?

2 Likes

Can confirm that it’s working for me with highly scaled up R15 avatars, I don’t have any custom rigs to test it with, but I assume this update will have fixed that as well.

Thanks!

One of my moderators testing with several of my large custom rigs has failed to reproduce the issue. I will test myself later, but so far so good.

Excellent, thanks for letting us know.

Thanks for quick Feedback, guys! Yeah the issue was that Character Logic had clamps on max forces and torques it could apply rather than accelerations. Which obviously didn’t scale with rotations. Please let us know if there is anything else that doesn’t properly scale with character sizes.

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate knowing what went wrong.
I’ve now confirmed myself that the issue is fixed. Turning is also much sharper and movement feels more snappy. Previously it was extremely sluggish to turn if character models were large and heavy.

:clap:

Did this also have a secondary effect of fixing sluggish movement of tiny characters?
Because it sounds like that issue is tied to this issue.