Group Guest Role

Why is the Guest role locked on all groups?

6 Likes

You can no longer toggle the guest’s permission to see the wall and shout.
But i’ve noticed that OLD OLD OLD groups, you can still not see the wall/shout if it was turned off before this change.

The issue with this change is that priority groups, like war groups with a group for it’s High ranks, is useless now, because the enemy’s can just see the wall posts, making it useless… “moves to another service to chat for high ranks”

Below is some examples:

Group that you can’t change the wall/shout permission:

Group that hasn’t been changed permission on ages, that has wall/shout dissabled for guests:

It looks like permission to see group wall posts and group shouts is on by default for Guest roles. I believe this is unintentional and will inform the web team.

8 Likes

Hey guys, web intern here. @Lilly_S just alerted me to this, and we’re investigating.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update, very much appreciated.

Group owners now have the ability to toggle View group wall and View group status permissions for the Guest role again.

8 Likes

Why was all the others locked, why can’t we change the permissions as we wish?

You’ll have to ask @NoahWillCode but in my opinion the other ones aren’t typically permissions you want to give to people who aren’t in your group.

1 Like

Well, showing off the funds isn’t really something important to just keep in the group, but the kick and manage permissions i understand.

There are a variety of reasons. For one, we want to support having people join groups. We also need to make sure our other systems that work with groups can be depended upon. For instance, imagine giving the Guest rank the ability to create and edit group places, and then a game is stolen or edited to go against the TOS. We don’t want that to happen.

Groups are really meant to be for the people in the groups. Not everyone else.

2 Likes

I mainly think showing off the funds isn’t a “downside” in any ways.
As it doesn’t give the guest’s any ways to mess things up.

Make a feature request with various use cases for guests needing the ability to see group funds.

It has always been a way to show off, that’s the only user case xD

You need to follow the proper steps to requesting a feature if you want it brought up internally

Ik just to lazy, it’s just a braggig right.

@NoahWillCode I thought this change was reverted at first. From the default role permission view, it seems config for guests is completely disabled (no Permissions button):

Screenshot ![](upload://mzUTLR7nabSDeguvpzGhnnQgTPv.png)

It’s not until you click “View All Permissions” that the option to config the two permissions for guests appears:

Screenshot ![](upload://7TodHZvv3rKpmLfnBeMWoC6uoIb.png)

I ended up just forcing the changes by modifying the POST request that normally goes out when committing permission changes and was going to post back here, only to realize it was just disabled on the default view.

2 Likes

As a follow-up, somehow guests have the ability to comment on my group wall:

and since I can’t edit the permissions, I can’t dis-allow that feature.

1 Like

Oh, just thought of the fact that they can’t see the group wall in the first place.
Oh well, still needs to be fixed :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.