How many studs is there in a meter

It really depends on what the units of mass actually are, since inertia is independent of gravity. But I don’t really know the answer to that.

4 Likes

But gravity is independent of mass too (atleast for the object being attracted by it), that is why a feather will fall just as quickly as a stone if we ignore airresistance

3 Likes

Yes, but if you push on an object with the same force, it will always experience the same acceleration regardless of the gravity field it’s in.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies. So to summarize: If you scale from human-sized buildings to Roblox size. The measurements would be 1 meter = 3 studs. Although in accordance from a Roblox blog post: Gravity in roblox is 196.2 studs/s^2 (print(workspace.Gravity)
Gravity on earth is ~9.81 meters/s^2

(196.2stud/s^2) / (9.81 * meter/s^2) = 20stud/meter

5 Likes

I know this is a very late response to this topic and that there is already a solution but I wanted to share what the walkspeed was if I were to walk 16 walkspeed. So what I did was measure out a length, which was 102.05 studs, and then set a timer and walked to a brick which stopped my timer. So the calculation here is, if you have 20 studs per meter, 102.05/20 which would equal 5.1025 meters. If you are passed freshmen year of physics class you would know that if you take the distance divided by the time you would find the speed of an object. So the time I got was 6.6 exactly and so I did 5.1025/6.6 which gave me .77310606 m/s.

So if you were to try and find the speed of a character, you take the distance divided by the time. In my results, I found that the walkspeed of a character in meters was approx. .77 m/s.

3 Likes

Are you sure the workspace gravity should be 32.2? i tried it and it seems to be like you are walking on the moon.

2 Likes

I think he meant 332, not 33.2

2 Likes

32.2 studs/s^2 is technically correct if for 1 stud = 1 foot, but you have to adjust Humanoid.JumpPower accordingly, to ~8.2, but I still don’t think this ends up looking too good so I usually leave gravity as is. I think the very high default elasticity of collisions has a lot of do with how it looks. Also, falling things look slower when there is no motion blur or when you’re zoomed out with little sense of scale.

5 Likes

Correct, everything is relative, if you used to high jump power and high gravity, obviously moving to a lower gravity is going to seem moon like. However yes 32.2 is correct. You have to adjust jump power and other physics objects if you didn’t design around a gravity of 32.2.

2 Likes

I think there’s finally a canon answer. With the release of World Panel Settings, 1 stud is exactly 0.28 meters (14/50 = 0.28). That’s ~0.92 feet in imperial units. I’m guessing this scale was made with RThro proportions in mind. A door would be roughly ~7.24 studs high and ~3.26 studs wide (assuming that the average door is 6’8" tall and 3’ wide.)

(average door size vs RThro character pictured here)

This contradicts what they said in a blog post years ago, though, where “one real-world meter is 20 studs”.

102 Likes

This is really cool to look at, but I have one question, how did you get .28 for 50/14, it should equal ~3.6

studs/meters = 50/14
For every stud, there is .28 meters and for every meter there is ~3.6 studs, just saying you may of gotten your math mixed up and it just didn’t make sense to me. :smile:

7 Likes

Typo, that should be 14/50 :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So I was just trying to implement the most realistic gravity possible, and it turns out 1 stud is EXACTLY .92 feet according to the physics.

I didn’t realize this, but when converting “realistic gravity” (9.8m/s) (35/s/s) to real realistic gravity (based on the .92 number), I found that – based on Roblox’s “20 studs in 1 meter” – measurement, 20 studs = 3.28084 feet. If a stud is actually ~.92 feet, then 20 studs should actually equal 18.4 feet. That is 5.608 times the 3.28084 value stated earlier. That means that actually realistic gravity should be 5.608 times Roblox’s 35 stud/s/s “realistic” gravity. That number?

It’s 196.28 studs/s/s… AKA “Classic” gravity.

So yes, I would say that .92 is both proportionately and physically proven based on those numbers. Who knew Roblox Classic physics were based on .92 feet per stud? Kinda interesting I think, I just stumbled across it.

10 Likes

By 36 studs do you mean 3.2 studs? Sorry for bumping this but, I think that’s another typo.

4 Likes

according to the roblox wiki, a stud is 5 cm

5 Likes

it is going by the R6 character

3 Likes

look at the solution, it clearly says the new and updated answer.

3 Likes

The average airport runway is 3000m long so if a stud is .28m then a runway would be 10,714.2857m long or 5.2316x the maximum studs in a part.

2 Likes

3.2808399 studs 3.2808399 studs

1 Like

According to World Panel Settings, 7.159 studs Jump Height is 2.005 meters. If that’s the case, 1 meter is about 3.5705735661 studs.