How to Livestream

Hey Developers, have you always wondered how to livestream? Livestreams can be useful for Roblox communities, games, and showing off your development real-time to your followers! Livestreams can be used as an educational tool or simply for fun.

There are many different softwares/programs you can use to livestream, but the most popular free one is “Open Broadcast Software” or OBS for short.

Learning to use OBS:

When you initially open the OBS program, it’s pretty daunting and confusing to someone who hasn’t worked with it before.

Screen Preview is a preview of the screen your viewers will see. On the stream, whatever changes you make will instantly update real-time for your viewers.

Scenes are saved screens you can use for later. It’s a good idea to save a scene for livestreaming, and one for recording.

Sources are a list of objects that appear on the screen, such as screen captures, photos, slideshows, etc.

Controls is where you can start and stop your stream, as well as record and access settings.

Setting up OBS Settings

There are many different setting options on OBS for various purposes. For this tutorial, I will show how to set up a simple high-quality livestream for YouTube.

General Settings

None of these settings are important to the actual stream, but more of personal choices. If you prefer a dark theme, you can select that here.

Stream Settings

This is where you can actually “connect” your OBS to your livestream. On your YouTube live dashboard there will be a stream key. Press “Reveal”, and copy and paste it to the text box on OBS. Keep this key a secret, so random strangers can’t livestream on your YouTube channel.

Output Settings

After spending years livestreaming, I found these settings best work for me (I use a higher end computer/laptop). If you have a lower spec computer, you may want to change the resolution to 720p and change the bitrate to 2000.

Audio Settings

The Audio settings are very self explanatory. As long as the sample rate is 48khz and the channel is stereo, you don’t have to do much. Make sure to connect your computer’s speakers to “Desktop Audio Device” and your microphone to “Mic/Aux Audio Device”. If you want to use the push to talk/mute feature, you may do so.

Video Settings

The standard for livestreaming on YouTube is 1080p or 720p. If you have a high spec computer that can handle livestreaming 1080p, I suggest taking advantage of it and livestream at a higher resolution. If not, 720p is still great!

30 FPS is normal for YouTube videos and livestreams, but 60 FPS makes it a little sharper and smoother. Again, choose whatever you feel your computer can handle.

Hotkey and Advanced Settings

These settings aren’t essential for setting up the livesteam, and their defaults should be fine. Feel free to take a look though if you wish!

Creating your Scene

window

The first thing you should do to set up your scene is to add a Source. In most livestreams, you want to show your desktop screen. To do so, select “Window Capture”.

Then, a window will pop up prompting you to select what window you’d like to capture. For this tutorial, I selected “Photoshop.exe” to show on my stream. On the dropdown menu, you can select any program that is open.

Huzzah! The stream now shows my Photoshop window. Now let’s go to sources and add a text object to create a little message. You can select whatever font you wish, and you can select the size and position.

Press “OK” and it will appear on your screen. Make sure the Text source is above the Window Capture Source, so it appears on top.

Once you are satisfied with your screen preview, press “Start Streaming”.

Tips and Tricks

• Try Tweeting the link to your livestream so your friends can watch!

• Livestreaming your development can get players pumped and excited for what is to come!

• If you’re hosting a Roblox group event, livestreaming can be a great way for those who cannot attend still feel a part of the community.

• If you monetize your livestream, you can potentially earn quite a bit of money through adsense!

• Remember not to play copyrighted music on your livestream, or you may get a copyright strike.

Thank you ChipioIndustries for fixing my images to be compatable with the dark themed website

35 Likes

I’ll definitely test this sometime in the future.

3 Likes

Amazing tutorial! Do you think it’s possible to stream with WiFi?

My desk is upstairs while my WiFi is in the living room. My WiFi isn’t terrible but it isn’t amazing either.

1 Like

If your WiFi isn’t the strongest, there might be some minor interruptions in the stream for your viewers. On the YouTube live dashboard, it will tell you how your livestream performance is. You can always test it out beforehand :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’ll be fine as long as you have a stable enough connection, I’d recommend only streaming on 5ghz though.

I am going to elaborate on some of these settings. Mainly because I wouldn’t recommend this setup for laptops and low end desktops, CPU wise.
Encoder: Refers to how the frame is processed and recorded to the needed codec. Here are the common ones:

• X264 - Software based encoding method. Heavily taxes the CPU, so it isn’t recommended for laptops.
  • QuickSync - Uses the Intel Integrated Graphics to accelerate video encoding. Not recommended if you don’t have a GPU or older integrated graphics (like i7 4XXX and before).
  • NVENC - Uses a NVIDIA GPU to accelerate video encoding. A decent graphics card is recommended (like the GTX 1050 TI), but any work, including G and GT series.
  • AMD Advanced Media Framework - Uses an AMD GPU to accelerate video encoding.

Bitrate: The amount of bits (in Kb/s) for recording. It is recommended to keep it higher for recording, since your network connection isn’t a factor compared to streaming. Less bits will result in color banding and other compression artifacts. Common bit rates (source: YouTube):

• 240p: 300-700 Kbps
  • 360p: 400-1,000 Kbps
  • 480p: 500-2,000 Kbps
  • 720p: 1,500 - 4,000 Kbps
  • 720p60: 2,250 - 6,000 Kbps
  • 1080p: 3,000 - 6,000 Kbps
  • 1080p60: 4,500 - 9,000 Kbps
  • 1440p: 6,000 - 13,000 Kbps
  • 1440p60: 9,000 - 18,000 Kbps
  • 2160p: 13,000 - 34,000 Kbps
  • 2160p60: 20,000 - 51,000 Kbps

CPU Usage Preset (x264 Encoder only): Determines the quality of the video, with a slower preset allowing a better quality at the cost of CPU usage, with faster being the opposite.

10 Likes

Thanks for elaborating on the more technical side! Very useful for those with lower spec devices.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I use OBS and even I didn’t know half of this stuff.

1 Like

No problem, glad you found it helpful.

Thanks for sharing. This looks really neat

1 Like

I stream 1080p using WiFi, works quite well. Will occasionally crash though.

1 Like

Very informative tutorial.

2 Likes