How to make this without BodyAngularVelocity?

Your ActuatorType needs to be set to Motor. Make sure you set the AngularVelocity and MaxTorque properties, otherwise nothing will happen.

Motor makes things rotate constantly. Servo makes them move to a specific rotation.

In order to line up hinge constraints, you want the arrow pointing on the axis of the hinge. Both attachments will line up when the physics simulation starts.

This is probably because you were in Run mode instead of Edit/stopped mode. You should make these in Studio first.

The little circle arrow in the picture appears because the ActuatorType is set to Motor.

1 Like

This is probably because you were in Run mode instead of Edit/stopped mode. You should make these in Studio first.

Motor makes things rotate constantly. Servo makes them move to a specific rotation.

I am in stopped mode. I did set it to motor. I still don’t see it and it still stops after one turnaround.

EDIT: It seems that it DOES rotate on a loop, just in the wrong axis. I’ll play around with it, but I still can’t see the display.

This is the best I could get it to look like. How can I get the axis to move and not the target? I can’t figure any of this out.

Then your attachments or hingeconstraint is probably not set up right.

You might also want to check the ‘Visible’ property in the HingeConstraint and make sure that Show Details is on:

Try upping the MotorMaxTorque on the HingeConstraint and making sure that LimitsEnabled is false.

HingeConstraintBasicExample.rbxl (13.4 KB)

Ah, I see what you’re doing wrong now.

Your cylinder is rotating around the edge of your pole rather than the center!

Remember that the HingeConstraint will move the objects such that both HingeConstraints are in the same place and allow them to rotate around the arrow axis.

What you want is not for your cylinder to rotate at the edge of the rod, but for it to rotate around the center of the pole. This means that your attachments need to be at the center of the pole, not at the edge of the rod.

The following example shows what you probably want (Example1) and a way to fix what it looks like you were doing before (Example2). Note how in Example1 the whole pole-rod-cylinder assembly is welded together and the pole rotates around the center. Also note how in Example2, the cylinder’s attachment is in the same place as what it’s going to rotate around. In Example2, the rod is also CanCollide false to let the cylinder move.

HingeConstraintExample2.rbxl (14.9 KB)

https://gfycat.com/FemaleUniqueBlackandtancoonhound

2 Likes

“Show Details” was what was off, and now everything looks gross with it on, so I guess I’ll keep it off until I need it. I thank you for your help in guiding me towards undertanding these constraints, though! Is there a good place to learn everything about constraints? The wiki was a bit confusing and didn’t have any visual examples.

I don’t know about everything, but you can learn some stuff from the wiki. Concerning that…

The Constraints page has quite a few images and videos/gifs. Have you seen it yet?

You might be able to find some good examples or info if you search “Constraints” and read through some of the announcement posts and mess with the example/test places.

2 Likes

I saw the Constraints page, but it seemed a little lacking in information, I dunno.

Anyway, I got my target working! Here’s my model for it, if anyone wants to see it.

target.rbxm (4.0 KB)

2 Likes