Improve neon for low graphics users

Can much be done? Neon is awesome but there are huge amounts of players who never see it due to being on level 5 graphics and below. I have a scene I’m working on that has a fair bit of neon lights in it which really brings everything together however, when graphics are lowered the scene looks like garbage. The flat low graphics neon material doesn’t accurately represent the color of the high graphics neon effect and the low graphics effect looks bad.

The low graphics neon is not what I intend for my players to see. It looks bad and takes away from the rest of the scene and it’s not how I want the scene to be presented. I don’t know the best way to fix this, but it would be nice if we could assign a different color and material for users on low graphics. When a user’s graphics is set to 5 or below, the game looks at what secondary color and material you have chosen and uses that instead. For these users I would rather have no neon effect at all instead of the luminated discolored material we have currently.

Also sorry if I’m posting too much stuff here. I’ve just had a lot of these things on my mind.

2 Likes

Or a force neon glow option of some sort. The visibility checks for edges is probably the most computationally expensive thing in Neon, so there’s not really much you could do, I would assume. a fix might be taking a transparent part or two, and over-sizing it over the neon parts that are important, for people with low graphics

So, several things we can do:

• Lower the quality level where neon is enabled. This has potential performance implications, but we can explore that - it’s much more optimized than it used to be, maybe we can drive it a bit further and enable earlier?
  • Improve the low-quality neon by maintaining color/etc. better.

Can you share some screenshots with how your level looks with neon enabled, with neon disabled, and how you’d like it to look with neon disabled to give us a better idea? “how you’d like it to look” can be achieved by changing colors or painting over the screenshot or any other way to communicate the issue and what you want.

5 Likes

Can we get a neon intensity slider in studio? I would love to put neon in my game but it may be too bright, so I often have to use point lights.

It was the case with my RBXDev office, I wanted faint light from the window, but neon was just too bright.

1 Like

Yeah I would love an intensity slider, sometimes neon is way too bright

Who knows, low intensity neon could work for low graphics

Oh no I meant like it being a property of the neon material, its too bright to build with.

IIRC Bloom.Intensity serves this purpose (since Neon and Bloom are fused together in one shader) - add Bloom, set Threshold to 1 to minimize the actual Bloom effect and lower the Intensity value.

4 Likes