Increase maximum trailer length

When adding a video to your game, the maximum supported video length is 31 seconds which is extremely small and should be increased to at least 2 minutes. It’s very hard to work with 30 seconds, as it doesn’t show as much about your game as you would like. A stereotypical video works something like this ATM:

• 3-5 seconds of fading in/intro
  • about 23 seconds to work with (people usually do 5 ~4 second transition slides explaining certain aspects of their game)
  • 3-5 seconds of fading out/end

That literally leaves us ~20 seconds to give a pitch of our game that isn’t extremely misleading; that’s absurd.

Why such a small limit? I’d love to hear what’s keeping this from being increased.

39 Likes

I don’t think anybody wants to watch 2 minutes of footage on a tiny embed player. I agree with you wanting more time, though. Maybe 45 seconds would be the sweet spot.

9 Likes

I disagree. Whenever I see a steam game that I think is interesting I’ll happily spend 10 minutes watching trailers on the game page, especially cool cinematic ones.

16 Likes

As someone who is 19 myself, I believe you.

As someone who’s making games for 11 year olds who watch Snapchat stories that are 4 seconds long I don’t think they’ll have the attention span to watch 2 minutes of video, but I could be wrong.

7 Likes

I think the decision should be left up to the developer then. Maybe I want to make a game for 19 year olds.

20 Likes

That’s a good compromise.

2 Likes

Yeah. I dunno about anyone else But I’m not developing for kids… I’m developing for teens.

5 Likes

So how do kids watch 20 minute youtube videos about a fidget spinner? If you know what you’re doing, you can keep people interested.

3 Likes

I’ve always expected them to increase the time limit, just like they have with audio.

3 Likes

I feel like it should be up to the person to make a good trailer. Some just suck, an extra minute of it wont make it any worse. But an extra minute of a really amazing trailer can only seal the deal for the viewer even more.

7 Likes

Not that I want it but I need longer trailers personally.

3 Likes

It’s worth stating that the play store recommends videos which last between 30 seconds and 2 minutes so I would say this is a reasonable change.

3 Likes

Bump! 45 Seconds would really be the sweetspot for trailer length, can’t believe we are in 2023 already and this suggestion is from 2017 :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like