Is there an Xbox keyboard feature?

If I want to spawn a keyboard for filling in a textbox, is there an option for that?

1 Like

Why do you want to do this? I have always found typing on console in this way to be a bad experience.

I’m sure there are some uses to this, I am too wondering if this is even possible yet?

Not currently, also there is no current method of focusing textboxes that I know of.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it comes out by the end of the month, along with backpack scrolling.
Then again, typing on a console regularly would be a pain. Unless this is for something like entering a character name on game start of something, it’s probably going to negatively affect gameplay.

TextBox:CaptureFocus

Typing on consoles sucks because it takes the player completely out of the game for a considerable amount of time. The ideal user experience would be never typing anything ever.

Does that mean communication will be done through voice chatting?

Custom class names would be useful for textbox input.

I guess you could create your own custom keyboard gui - and use arceusinator’s gui selecting api helper for now.

That’s an XBOX built in, so users will definitely communicate more with friends over voicechat.

That’s an XBOX built in, so users will definitely communicate more with friends over voicechat.[/quote]

If that’s true then we should have control over that. A lot of team based games should have team only voice chat

That’s an XBOX built in, so users will definitely communicate more with friends over voicechat.[/quote]

If that’s true then we should have control over that. A lot of team based games should have team only voice chat[/quote]

No, XBOX has voicechat. Not ROBLOX.

Rukiryo is talking about the XBOX platform voicechat, where you can get in XBOX parties with your XBOX friends. Roblox itself won’t have voicechat.

Oh i figured it was on the server like how PC games do it

It’s been confirmed there will be no voicechat.

It’s been confirmed there will be no voicechat.[/quote]

Yes, that’s what we just said in 3 separate posts :stuck_out_tongue: Voicechatting is built in to the xbox platform (not the ROBLOX client). People can use it regardless of the app they are playing.

It’s been confirmed there will be no voicechat.[/quote]

Yes, that’s what we just said in 3 separate posts :stuck_out_tongue: Voicechatting is built in to the xbox platform (not the ROBLOX client). People can use it regardless of the app they are playing.[/quote]

If your friends yeah.

Reving this. It would be great to access the in-console keyboard and not have to build our own.

Obviously not for things like chat, but sometimes there’s no alternative when you want to set group names, usernames, or short messages.

Minecraft does it, and it’s painless.

Also,

please leave it up to the developer to make bad design choices.

10 Likes

The console keyboard pops up if you select a TextBox using the default GUI navigation controls, but in cases where the default controls aren’t used to select it, it would be interesting if developers could call a function which brings up the keyboard and then returns the typed string once the player hits Done (or nil, if they just back out of it).

2 Likes

Oh, interesting. I didn’t know that. But yeah, a function is what I’m after.