Lilly's Group Overhaul

The owner should get true power, currently if a user has a rank equal to that of owner the owner can’t do anything about it.

2 Likes

If you want to try out what woot3 is talking about, take a look at this tread:
http://developer.roblox.com/forum/web-bug-reports/9383-group-ownership-bug
Though I recommend you don’t do this, as it’s irreversible.

1 Like

What people are failing to understand is that group forums would not result in more posts for the forum moderators to deal with. The thread would be posted regardless – on C&G without the forums, and obviously on the forums with the forums. When implemented, for easy moderation, the forum moderators could also have every clan’s forums smashed into one list for them to view so they wouldn’t have to roam around.

1 Like

[quote] Groups in general have been left to sit as they are for years.

C&G is only in its current state because the decision-makers in the higher ranks of the ROBLOX staff have set groups aside because they do not directly profit ROBLOX. [/quote]

So you’re fully blaming the staff of Roblox for the current state the groups are in, and you’re now expecting them to invest and fix it back up? Well, wake up. If anyone is going to change it, it’s going to be a user. You have the chance to be that user, take it or leave it. It’s up to you.

1 Like

[quote] Groups in general have been left to sit as they are for years.

C&G is only in its current state because the decision-makers in the higher ranks of the ROBLOX staff have set groups aside because they do not directly profit ROBLOX. [/quote]

So you’re fully blaming the staff of Roblox for the current state the groups are in, and you’re now expecting them to invest and fix it back up? Well, wake up. If anyone is going to change it, it’s going to be a user. You have the chance to be that user, take it or leave it. It’s up to you.[/quote]

Not when there haven’t been actual updates to the way groups work in several years.

You’re talking about changing the community. I’m talking about updating the system.

3 Likes

Remember we added the entire “Clan” system just this year. Now I know many of you feel it was the wrong way to do it, or it could have been done better, but the point is that was a pretty major update, and that happened in 2014 so it is unlikely you see more this year.

Anyways, we are working on other major initiatives for the rest of 2014 and I don’t think they really involve groups. Also, the real problem is groups are already “packed” with features. Think about it, you can have tons of ranks, configure permissions for ranks, shouts, allies, group store, group places, etc… You are asking us to expand even further on ALL of these features, which isn’t an easy thing to do, and yes we have to see value in it, because that engineering time has to be justified.

Also, something that seems simple like “add a color to shout” can actually be really difficult. That SQL tables is millions and millions of rows, so we can’t add a column to that table anymore. So we would have to add a join table, then join that to an enum of colors and write all the interaction in the ui. Colors would have to be picked by our design team and pre-approved. So several meetings later, engineering work, design work, etc. we have colors in group shouts and no real measurable value that we can show for it is that you got to add a color to a group shout which took 1 week of an engineers time and time from designers, etc.

I’ll bookmark this under group feature requests but I hope you can see why you might not see these this year.

2 Likes

[quote]
I’ll bookmark this under group feature requests but I hope you can see why you might not see these this year. [/quote]

I’m not looking for any type of change this year - that’d be way unreasonable. I’m saying that these are things that, in the long run, should be considered for the enhancement of groups.

Thanks for your reply, though! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gah – SQL/PHP/HTML have always seemed to cause problems. I know it’s like this for slow connections, but jsdklfhsdjfsdhfjk. I used to have a 1.5 Mbps connnection, so I know the pain, but sdfhsjkfsdf. FYI if you guys ever created a custom program for ROBLOX (like Studio but a ROBLOX ‘browser’), and packed it with features that otherwise couldn’t be implemented with web languages, I’d use it.

1 Like

I’ve revived this thread to bring more attention to groups in light of this thread: http://developer.roblox.com/forum/development-discussion/18645-clothing-clans

This thread will now serve as my usual spot for posting ideas to improve groups and will be bumped every time I edit a new idea into it or one of these updates makes it in.

1 Like

You should probably remove group games from the OP since those are back now (<3)

1 Like

(i know right i’m so glad too)
I colored the features that actually got done in green (and blue for the one that got done and revoked) to distinguish. I like keeping them in here because it feels like an accomplishment that it got done, even if it wasn’t necessarily just from my feature request.

1 Like

heck yes I want to revive this topic

I’ve edited the OP so that the formatting works with Discourse and basically now I’m bumping it to generate more attention to it.

Hard to believe that across all of my group threads there was a total of 79 “Thank yous” back on Kunena. That’s really encouraging because it means a lot of you guys care enough about groups to give your unspoken support to my ideas for updates.

I strongly encourage anyone who has any more suggestions to reply to this thread or to message me a link to any threads regarding groups which you have made. If I like your idea, I’ll gladly add it to the original post here. If I find something that I don’t think is realistic or will work, I’ll gladly discuss it further with you.

Thanks all,
Lilly

cc @Nexx

edit: also wow I was really edgy “CLANS DONT CUT IT!”

1 Like

Wasn’t @Gusmanak assigned to this as part of his internship? What happened to it? Web features seem to take a ridiculously long time to consider/implement

1 Like

He was tasked with designing some updates. I assume that those updates either got scrapped or they’re in the works. I did get to consult with him on it, however. He had some interesting ideas.

2 Likes

Hi there! Since Gus left, I’ll be taking on the group redesign project. I’ll definitely be taking his ideas into consideration, and I’ll be looking through ideas in this forum as well. The reason why it’s taking a while is because we have a roadmap of features to work on, and there are other projects that are higher priority from our perspective.

The groups redesign will also be a pretty large effort, since we’ll probably be rewriting everything from scratch, but that also means we’ll be able to start with a blank slate. We know that groups as they are right now need serious improvements, and they’re definitely on our plate. (Soon TM.)

21 Likes

That sounds awesome! Thanks for letting me know.

3 Likes

Might as well add this in:

https://forum.roblox.com/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=195628308

2 Likes

Thank you for a response!

I’m super excited now to see groups as a feature grow over the next year.

2 Likes

All I ask for is per-game group payouts. There are a ton of threads on this around the forum.

11 Likes

Awesome! Glad to see that we should be seeing some group updates in the near to mid future.

1 Like