Massless Hats & Other Accoutrement

For the same reason CSG hasn’t been removed in favor of meshes (and is still being actively worked on). 3D modeling software has a higher learning curve (mostly due to its interface) and so not everyone uses it.

There are also reasons you want a model to be broken up into a few parts rather than one huge mesh. For parts that you do want to be physically simulated, large complicated meshes will often have poor collision fidelity, so you might want to break it up. You may also want special parts that are distinct from the rest of the model so you can put particle emitters or lights in them, change their color, listen for touched events on them, etc.

4 Likes

That’s an ugly workaround, and I couldn’t even call it a workaround. The same thing occurs with wedges and flat-angled surfaces. It never used to do this until recently.

2 Likes

It’s because R15 has custom physics

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. I guess they could do something about it though, as it does seem very annoying. Could interfere with a games flow.

1 Like

Is this active yet?

If so, it seems bodyvelocity ignores this change.

OP says it’s been shipped but it definitely isn’t having any effect on BodyGyro since I still weigh a lot more than everyone else.

1 Like

:GetMass( ) is still returning numbers > 0 too so I assume this either broke or is shipped but not enabled?

Will this take in to consideration the Humanoid jump height when the player is at the surface?

Does this effect body movers?

It will affect the perceived mass of an avatar with accoutrements. We did have an initial issue with this feature where the correct mass was not being reported to the lua code so devices like the hot air balloon and the anti-grav gun wouldn’t function properly.

That has been fixed and the feature should be coming on again soon.

If your body mover takes mass into account and provides a consistent behavior for all masses it should be fine. If you count on accoutrements to weigh down a character, you may have to use a different approach.

2 Likes

My body movers do the opposite, they need the hats to be weightless

Then you should be fine. The feature is currently disabled as we’re fixing up some issues but it should be activated in the next week or two. As of right now, hats still have mass and will affect your character’s weight.

2 Likes

Alright, thank you

Update: we had some issues with accessory mass not being reported correctly to Lua and accessory part detachment causing (frustratingly difficult to reproduce) crashes. These issues have been resolved and this feature has been re-activated. Hats and other accoutrements are now massless when equipped.

6 Likes

Thank you!

Are accoutrement worn by NPC also massless?

Yes, accoutrements equipped on any humanoid should be massless.

1 Like

Could you make the jump on the surface thing optional please? I’d prefer if people in my underwater game weren’t dolphin diving over the top

I hate to be bumping this thread, but this hat still seems to have density. I sink to the bottom in water, and I can’t jump high when using items that lower your gravity.

EDIT: NEVERMIND, there was an issue with my avatar’s density. Seemingly, unequipping that hat, then equipping again fixed the problem, but I tried with the headless head beforehand, and I was still heavy.

Weird. Anyway, disregard this post.