Mesh Import Complications

I’ve been trying to basically use the banana mesh from ROBLOX and splitting it into seperate pieces using Blender and then importing it back to Studio. However, I’ve been getting this odd black gradient at the section I cut it. I’ve tried converting the mesh to triangles, changing the scale, but no dice.test.fbx (28.7 KB)
Capturehelp

Is the texture properly mapped? If not then I would suggest re-mapping it.

I’ve had this problem as well, I was importing a medal and the backs of the medal is just black on top as if it’s shading, but the sides are normal:

It’s also odd because when I move it away from the baseplate, the black part dissapears.

Guys. Select the object press ctrl + n then press recalculate in tools / uv editing and sharing

If that fails. Add the solidify modifier onto the object and redo the process

Troubleshoot: if you seperated the pieces, make sure all objects has the same uv (placements of uv and texturing)

Also this is getting super annoying but 70% of the time the issue was that someone accidentally pressed something causing the issues. So send blend files with the texture. Fbx/obj are almost completely useless when revolving issues.

Oh yes, here you go! Dropbox - banana.blend - Simplify your life The texture is basically the same, I just added minor nodes to create the sliced banana section. I have already tried re-calculating the normals as well and it didn’t work.

Also I did try the solidify modifier, it worked! However, I am trying to optimize the mesh without adding any more vertices.

1 Like

I see :frowning:

I usually take the texture and make it darker by changing the brightness and contrast. Makes the texture more high quality

The vertices on that end are black for some reason (maybe accidentally baked to vertex colors at some point?). Just color them white in Vertex Paint mode.

2 Likes

Ah yes, I had forgotten to mention I had to used vertex colors for that. Thank you! I did find another way to create the same result just using a gradient node.

Vertex painting is something you normally want to avoid with texture-mapped organic game objects like this, because the irregularity of the triangulation becomes visible when the vertex colors are interpolated, making zig-zag-edged gradients that reveal the tessellation (ugly). Vertex paint works nicely with uniform, regular and dense meshes, but often looks nasty on complex game meshes that have gone through decimation steps to reduce poly count.

The other time you get weird gradients like this is when you have hard edges (like the 90-degree cut here) and you give the edge smooth normals. Now, you don’t want the hard-edges of split normals on a banana, but you can often make edge shading and highlighting look a lot nicer with a simple chamfer (also sometimes called a bevel when people aren’t making a distinction). Two 45-degree steps with “smooth” normals make for nicer-looking rounded edges than trying to smooth a 90-degree edge.

If you want to get rid of the weird patterns on the cross-section of the banana, which are from the uv-projection being edge-on, what you would normally do is select all the faces of the cross section and uv map them separately by doing Unwrap->Project From View while viewing the cross section dead on (so that you’re looking at a circle). This will give you a circular piece on your uv map that you can position independently and give its own texture. The resulting map would look like this (obviously not optimal layout, but you get the idea):

Projected that way, you could paint a nice banana cross-section.

Lastly, if you do re-map the banana, I don’t recommend letting the uv-mapped regions go right up against the edge of the image file, particularly when the edge wraps around to a different color (e.g. from yellow at the bottom to white at the top in this case). Your models can end up having big seams at different LoD levels because of how textures get sampled/interpolated. Best to leave a safety margin for cases like this where no wrapping is intended.

Lastly, if you’re happy with the level of detail, you might consider making the texture fill most of the square and use a 512x512, or 256x512, or ideally even smaller texture since the texture has no fine detail like text. Download size is not an issue, as the whitespace compresses well, but you can’t say the same for graphics card memory. 1024x1024 is huge if this is an actual sized banana in game (not a giant roof prop or something).

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I did in my fix! Thank you!

2 Likes