Mesh Parts are live!

MeshParts are now live!

What are MeshParts?
Physically simulated meshes! They have a meshID, textureID, and collision fidelity to control your physics collisions. These meshes will be moderated, and like other moderated objects, will not display for other users until they have passed moderation. The mesh format is also similar to the existing mesh format, so meshIDs are interchangeable between MeshParts and SpecialMeshes. This means you will now be able to more correctly physically simulate existing ROBLOX meshes!

For more information, please visit http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/MeshPart

What does this mean for me?
You can now upload your own meshes from an .FBX file! Just insert a MeshPart, click on the open icon in the MeshID Property, and select the FBX file you wish to upload. Keep in mind there is a 5000 poly limit!

I am seeing issues with the mesh I uploaded. What do?
Let me know here or PM me your issue and associated FBX file. The FBX file format is actually pretty complicated. It’s not just vertices and indices, but a hierarchy of relational objects. There may be cases we are not currently handling, or cases we intentionally are not handling.

Known issues you may come across:

My texture is not appearing:
Is there one associated with the file when you exported? Is it in the same folder as specified in the file or at the very least in the same folder as the .fbx file? Is it in a format that we allow for upload on roblox.com?

My texture looks weird:
We are currently taking your meshes from the FBX file and joining all the vertices and indices together into one mesh. Because of this, we can only use one texture in the mesh file. We apply the first texture we find to the entire mesh. If you want to have different textures, upload different meshes.

My mesh is huge on importation:
Blender seems to have an issue with over-scaling the mesh. On export, try reducing the scale to 0.1. (Or you can always resize the mesh in Studio)

I uploaded a mesh, but some of the locations are weird:
An FBX file can contain Animation data that can house CFrames and sizes of the meshes at time zero of the animation. We are not currently respecting animation data for V1.

Again, if you have any other issues, please post here or PM with your issue and FBX file.

65 Likes
32 Likes

Woooo, this is going to be a lot of fun!

7 Likes

Soooo excited

1 Like

heavy breathing

3 Likes

5000 triangle limit for meshes but only 2500 for CSG… guess meshes is the way to go. Way to promote third-party modeling, Roblox.

4 Likes

Yess, this is awesome!

2 Likes

When exporting as FBX from blender, what should be our up, and what should be forward?

1 Like

We’re not even an hour into the feature right now and I already see several ripped models from triple A games

Oh boy

PS: Why are the meshes free by default? Not that it matters since you can take them anyway by copying the ID, but this doesn’t happen with other assets.

3 Likes

Why are other assets not free by default?

5 Likes

Oh yes! Finally!

1 Like

My body is ready

*checks twitter

I WAS NOT READY OH MY GOD THESE ARE AWESOMFAJFDJFDFIDIHDAHV

1 Like

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! THANK YOUUUUUUU ROBLOX!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Been waiting for this for years!

2 Likes

OH MY GOD, YES.

This is a giant feature hole now plugged up. I cannot wait for animations.

1 Like

Oh yeah! Been waiting for this to be official for a long time!

1 Like

any chance of having the same scalability as block/sphere meshes to make the mesh smaller than .2 studs?

1 Like

Just to let you know, zeuxcg did mention that the limit for CSG will remain the same for the time being.
You can expect obvious improvements to it as well some time.

1 Like

Physics starts getting weird below 0.2 studs, and since MeshParts are physically simulated, we still have that limitation. As mentioned in the post, MeshId’s for SpecialMeshes and MeshParts and interchangeable. SpecialMeshes also have a Scale property.

4 Likes

didn’t see that part, that’s what I’m needing. Thanks!

1 Like

THIS COULD POSSIBLY BE THE BEST DAY EVER!

4 Likes