Minimap Creation Technique and Plugin

Notice: I fixed the error that would not allow the active box to be checked. It should be fixed now.

Hi guys, I don’t think anybody’s ever discovered my method for getting minimaps for games quickly, so I figured I’d go ahead and publish a tutorial on it.

The way it works is that, when the camera’s FOV is 1, it’s pretty much orthographic. So I set the FOV of my camera to 1 and zoomed out above to take a screenshot of my map

Unfortunately, the default camera can’t point straight down, so I made a nice little plugin to help out. Here’s a
link: Minimap Generation Plugin - Roblox

It’s pretty comprehensive and it uses a nice, new UI scheme. Enjoy :slight_smile:

Examples of this method’s content:

I hope you have a good experience! Contact me if you’ve got questions.

[I’m aware there are some bugs that make it print to the output and stuff but functionally it works. I’ll try to fix it when I get a chance.]

-bigcrazycarboy

70 Likes

Good job.

I’ll try this out myself

3 Likes

I’ll try this out! Nice job! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’ll probably use this at some point in the future! :smiley:

2 Likes

11:26:19.375 - Plugin_1873722908.MinimapGenerator:63: attempt to index upvalue ‘OGCam’ (a nil value)

2 Likes

This is now fixed :stuck_out_tongue: Go ahead & update.

So basically it changes the FOV and moves my camera above the map?

Pretty nifty.

1 Like

Yea pretty much - it’s pretty nice because going up that high requires precision and numerical values allow you to be very precise and exact.

Also scriptable camera type lets you point your camera straight down. Only people who know how to code would’ve been able to do that before.

Cool. I’ll probably use it in the future

Looks cool! Are there any issues with parts streaming out when positioned too far away?

Unfortunately, roblox caps the max render distance for parts. There’s nothing I can do about it. A way around it might be to find the sweet spot (usually 99.5 or something for me) and bump up the FOV slightly. Another option may be to change the X and Y values until you can stitch some screenshots together.

1 Like

All good! I actually found another use for your plugin yesterday. It makes really good thumbnail pictures.

9 Likes

Good plugin however would it be possible to change it from strictly inputting to numbers to a slider perhaps? Even better would be allowing us to change the minimum and maximum values on the slider to allow for various types of maps. Along with a option for how sensitive the slider is.

1 Like

One of my favorite things is seeing a game or program used beyond the intent of the original creator. It’s impressive to see what other people come up with.

8 Likes

That would be a bit harder to implement and probably not the best option because people might want to be extremely precise when they put numbers in there - but I like the idea. It also doesn’t help that roblox doesn’t have a gui slider object. That would be very useful in things that need to show stats and stuff.

Wow, this is awesome! I’ll make sure to use this.

Suggestion: Add a “free camera” mode

1 Like

Just wondering, is the map client sided or server sided?

I’d be interested to know this as well.

1 Like