NetworkClient:BindToNetworkSend()

calls to remote objects are cached by the client and sent to the server at 20hz. because there isn’t currently any way (that i know of) to synchronize our scripts with the network tick, this can cause up to 50 additional milliseconds of latency on network calls. in cases like replicating position for a custom character, we can somewhat remedy this by calling remotes at around 60hz on renderstep, but this wasteful on bandwidth and adds extra unnecessary server processing time

the general idea of what i’m asking for is an addition to the API that allows us to call a function, then pass information from that function to the server through a remote, with as little extra latency as possible

20 Likes

So this would fire right before outbound data replication (that’s after every second or third heartbeat). That would be insanely useful.

Wouldn’t this be a member of NetworkPeer, seeing as sending data isn’t something that’s exclusive to clients?

An event would be more useful imo (BindToThing is more of an exception than a rule)

1 Like

A bit like this?

I think the “Bind” and “Unbind” methods need to be replaced with events and connections

9 Likes

In my game I’m working on, I replicate the 3D position of the player’s mouse in order to animate where the characters are looking.

This would be really useful for that.

2 Likes