New Chat System Now Live!

I don’t know how to recreate it, but I asked one of my players whom the chat resize button broke all the time at UDim2.new(.5,0,.5,0) to try it on a changed setting of UDim2.new(1,0,1,0) and he said it wasn’t broken. If the chat resize button is broken, they can’t chat either, and the screenshots look like there’s additional text over the chat input box.

Edit: nevermind, it broke https://gyazo.com/0cc48957fe9667060ba1fcb9fefff19b

Are there any errors in the developer console when this happens?

When ever I use a CommandModule that uses “util.IN_PROGRESS_MESSAGE_PROCESSOR” (such as the Whisper Module), after I hit Enter on the chatbar, I am unable to Equip Tools by pressing “1” on the keyboard. Refocusing and losing focus on the ChatBar fixes the issue, However it’s still quite annoying.

This is really disruptive since I added my own TeamChat Module that does pretty much the exact same thing as the Whisper one but for Team Chat, which switching from Team chat to public chat and equipping and dequipping are extremely common in my game, causing confusion for my players when they can’t equip their Tool.

I found the error, it was on my side.

https://gyazo.com/983f3063de2610b60da97ebe0040f03e if you’re curious

Does this happen with the whisper message processor, or just the team module that you made? If it is only with your module please PM me a copy.

It happens with the Whisper one also, the fact I use a team one just makes it occur a lot more often.

Here is a repro place ToolAndChat.rbxl (16.6 KB)
and a complementary gif if needed.

If someone uses OverrideCorescripts and, like me, hasn’t updated the “local corescripts folder” in a long time, you might want to do that. Otherwise, Start Server errors “Can’t find folder” for Modules/Server and Modules/Common.

Link to the zip (just copied from GitHub):
https://github.com/ROBLOX/Core-Scripts/archive/master.zip

So this is a bug with UserInputService.TextBoxFocusReleased not firing when when the TextBox is Destroyed inside the focus lost event. This code can reproduce it.

wait(4)
script.Parent:CaptureFocus()

script.Parent.FocusLost:connect(function()
	script.Parent:Destroy()
end)

We have some changes to textboxs that will be coming out early next year that should fix this.

If this impacts your game a lot, I have a hacky solution that you can add to ChatBar:ResetCustomState()

self.TextBox:CaptureFocus()
self.TextBox:ReleaseFocus()

Add this just before self.CustomState:Destroy()

3 Likes

The new Chat system doesn’t block text from Users I have on my blocked list.

As you can see I have BleachyPanarin Blocked, yet I still see his text.

please please please add the option to disable all scripts from the new chat system. Ever since it was introduced, my game’s performance has tanked and half my players say the chat is completely broken for them (I use bubble chat + my own custom gui).

A fix for this is coming soon. We will be introducing a GetCore method for getting a list of blocked userIds.

Which game is this? The chat should not be affecting performance this much, so there is probably something else going on. I can take a look.

Miner’s Haven. As soon as the new chat system came out, tons of items in my game just broke instantly, including jump pads, “infusers”, ore cannons and ore teleporters. Players report that they press / and then chat is instantly unselected, and this has happened to me firsthand. After this happens the number hotkeys for gears also breaks

I have zero evidence to back this up, but I’ve noticed that when RemoteEvents are fired in high succession, it makes .touched events act up, delay or even break. I think this is why a lot of my game’s items that use .touched are now not working anymore.

I am not sure but maybe it could also have to do with the new interpolation? (Just a thought)

1 Like

Whenever I collect a crate or an ore goes into any of my furnaces, the chat is cleared and the chat bar’s focus is lost. That is how the chat bug has worked in my experience so far.

How often do you add new objects to a players PlayerGui? When a new object is added, the chat re-parents itself to try and be the ScreenGui on top. If your game does this often, this might be why you are experiencing an issue with the chat bar being unfocused. I can send you a version of the chat without this code. We are adding a new ScreenGui.DisplayOrder property soon that will remove the need for this entirely.

1 Like

Please add a way to disable the chat scripts entirely. The only part of ROBLOX chat I use is the text bar, and at this point I might as well make my own.

1 Like

We will probably add a property to Chat service to disable it. In the meantime, you can override the scripts with empty scripts in Chat service.

4 Likes

Not sure if someone has already reported this, but if you’re chatting and you trapsen then the message you’re typing gets reset. Maybe fix this by saving if the text box is focused and if so save the text and restore the previous state after reset?