New Chat System Now Live!

To do this, you would have to create new text labels similar to how the Name and Channel buttons are created. I would look at how the channel button specifically is created and then shifts the name button to the right. You should be able to create your prefix and suffix’s in a similar way and then move the name and channel buttons based on their size. You would also add to numNeededSpaces to move on the message start position.

Thanks for the [Team] code, I will change it a bit and add it.

1 Like

It’s live on all games. Post if problems occur.
There’s an update coming this wednesday that’ll address various missing things.

3 Likes

Chat automatically scrolls down when a new message is posted, making it impossible to view chat history.

@TheGamer101 was this a setting, and where is this code for this?

I have a fix for this bug. It is caused by reordering all the messages when a message is filtered.

1 Like

On mobile devices the chat now takes up the left half of the screen and swallows input. Will this be fixed?

Does this new Chat System Handle Bubble Chat?
Because, as of now Bubble chat is always shown, even if in team chat to a player not on same team.

I haven’t tested Whispers but I would assume they would show also.

If it does Handle Bubble Chat where can I find that in the Code? Since I would also like to decrease the amount of time Bubble Chat is shown for.

I haven’t looked at the code that close, but i don’t think it’s controlling the bubble chat. but you can change your own settings in studio.

From what I can tell that would be incompatible with any other custom modules that edit how messages are displayed?

Is there any plans to make a system in which you can create a button before / after the name using a function and the chat automatically handles the spacing so that multiple people can add multiple prefixes / allows adding the channel echoing / etc without having to create the entire message?

ChatConstants aren’t created if ChatSettings already exists ( http://i.imgur.com/N8nOcof.png ). Same happens with other folders, e.g. if you add a Command module none of the default modules are created, very annoying.

I found that ChatConstants in ClientChatModules is not created if it is not there on runtime (eg in http://i.imgur.com/N8nOcof.png). I am not sure if this bahaviour is intentional.

It does not handle bubble chat at the moment. I would like to move bubble chat out of the corescripts so that it can easily be edited in the near future.

This is not intentional and will be fixed.

1 Like

The ChatConstants not being added is a bug, but once a folder such as CommandModules has been replaced a module can be removed from it to remove the functionality. Default modules can not be reinserted as they may have been purposely removed.

So if for example I wanted to use a command processor within the Chat folders I would have to update the default modules if there was ever an update?

Seems like a better way about this would be to only insert a module if it doesnt already exist so people can just have a blank module in its place like StarterPlayerScripts

1 Like

Will the issue with Team Chat Bubble chat not being hidden from players not on your team be addressed?

You can clone your module into the CommandModules folder at run time if you do not want to overwrite it at the moment. I think it may be confusing to work with if removing a module from command modules does not remove its functionality. I’ll see is there any nice way of doing this though, maybe a way to have a different folder for additional modules without overriding the defaults.

1 Like

I have not looked into how this would be done yet, but most likely.

1 Like

Well looks like this feature is live, and one annoyance I have is that when the player respawns, anything they have inputted in their chatbox is cleared.
So, if their character respawns while they’re typing, whatever was being typed gets cleared - very annoying.
This happens even with ResetPlayerGuiOnSpawn enabled.

There are no current plans for this, it would make the message creators more complicated. Maybe this could be made easier to achieve if the util:CreateNameButton function returned a message length though. This way you could add the prefix and suffixs to the name button, and then just modify the returned length to include them, so you would only have to edit one function. Editing the default modules to do this is how I would advise achieving this yourself.

1 Like