New constraints are live!

The parts are already CanCollide = false

1 Like

I have a ragdoll that uses BallSocketConstraints. Could we get a parameter to limit how far the joint can spin? Right now my head (and other parts) can spin completely backwards.

1 Like

Yes we will have a second cone constraint on ball sockets in a future release. Could you use a hinge with angular limits instead?

2 Likes

I remade the dune buggy that you made @chefdeletat
Took me awhile to get it working in a satisfactory manner, but I’m pretty happy with it.
It can navigate very bumpy terrain with relative ease, as long as its not too steep.

7 Likes

anyone else notice that “THEME OPTIONS” in the top right corner? hmm

2 Likes

How to get theme options

3 Likes

Anyone else having trouble with Servo hinges? No matter what I set the torque, angular velocity or desired angle to, it just rotates slightly then stops.

1 Like

Well I just spent an hour trying to create a wheel system using the new joints. I couldnt get the servos to do anything so I used a Motor6D. When I joined the wheel using a hinge constraint it works fine when only the wheel is unanchored, the wheel rotates along the correct axis and is in the correct position. If I unanchored it so that the wheel assembly was suspended by a prismatic joint and spring joint, which work fine individually, the wheel starts to try and rotate along all three axis and it just generally bugs out.

2 Likes

Looking great!

2 Likes

For servo you need to use AngularSpeed (not AngularVelocity which is for Motor)

2 Likes

I was setting the servo values manually using test in window, I could see the desired angle indicator move but the part itself just budged slightly towards it then stopped.
Also:
Imgur
Ignore the springs, the block the wheel is attached to by a hinge constraint is anchored in this case, and all the parts have their collisions turned off. Why does it start to act weirdly when I turn up the speed and torque?

1 Like

When you reach angular velocities above few hundreds rad/s (100rad/s =15 rev/s) the physics engine will break down

2 Likes

Can you record what happens with the servo?

2 Likes

Would it be a good idea to clamp AngularVelocity to a range of workable values then? Maybe not necessarily for scripts, but at least for the explorer?

2 Likes

Yes that’s probably a good idea

3 Likes

I’m not having any trouble going up to a few thousand rad/s with other setups, both with the new constraints and old hinges.

Although I can’t replicate the issue with the servo now, I deleted it earlier and when I recreated it I’m not having the same issue, must have messed up the welding :confused:

1 Like

Yes spheres are usually more stable than cylinders

2 Likes

I feel like these would catch on quicker if there were ways to edit this in studio in realtime without scripts.

You know how you can select a primary part in a model by clicking the empty field in properties and then selecting a part? Something like that for Attachment0 and Attachment1 would be cool.

Being able to “play” with these features is what gets most people to use them/ getting ideas to go through with applying them to real games.

9 Likes

Hope they have a Material and transparency setting! Looks great so far.

2 Likes

Does that include setting constraint Attachment0/Attachment1 (and preferably any properties that take instances like Adornee) through the explorer similar to how PrimaryPart is set? We have a perfectly good way to do it, but for whatever reason we can only use it with PrimaryPart :(

1 Like