New constraints are live!

Well I just spent an hour trying to create a wheel system using the new joints. I couldnt get the servos to do anything so I used a Motor6D. When I joined the wheel using a hinge constraint it works fine when only the wheel is unanchored, the wheel rotates along the correct axis and is in the correct position. If I unanchored it so that the wheel assembly was suspended by a prismatic joint and spring joint, which work fine individually, the wheel starts to try and rotate along all three axis and it just generally bugs out.

2 Likes

Looking great!

2 Likes

For servo you need to use AngularSpeed (not AngularVelocity which is for Motor)

2 Likes

I was setting the servo values manually using test in window, I could see the desired angle indicator move but the part itself just budged slightly towards it then stopped.
Also:
Imgur
Ignore the springs, the block the wheel is attached to by a hinge constraint is anchored in this case, and all the parts have their collisions turned off. Why does it start to act weirdly when I turn up the speed and torque?

1 Like

When you reach angular velocities above few hundreds rad/s (100rad/s =15 rev/s) the physics engine will break down

2 Likes

Can you record what happens with the servo?

2 Likes

Would it be a good idea to clamp AngularVelocity to a range of workable values then? Maybe not necessarily for scripts, but at least for the explorer?

2 Likes

Yes that’s probably a good idea

3 Likes

I’m not having any trouble going up to a few thousand rad/s with other setups, both with the new constraints and old hinges.

Although I can’t replicate the issue with the servo now, I deleted it earlier and when I recreated it I’m not having the same issue, must have messed up the welding :confused:

1 Like

Yes spheres are usually more stable than cylinders

2 Likes

I feel like these would catch on quicker if there were ways to edit this in studio in realtime without scripts.

You know how you can select a primary part in a model by clicking the empty field in properties and then selecting a part? Something like that for Attachment0 and Attachment1 would be cool.

Being able to “play” with these features is what gets most people to use them/ getting ideas to go through with applying them to real games.

9 Likes

Hope they have a Material and transparency setting! Looks great so far.

2 Likes

Does that include setting constraint Attachment0/Attachment1 (and preferably any properties that take instances like Adornee) through the explorer similar to how PrimaryPart is set? We have a perfectly good way to do it, but for whatever reason we can only use it with PrimaryPart :(

1 Like

Wooden. Springs.
image.jpeg

7 Likes

blob.jpg

7 Likes

Am I late to the party?

I thought I’d take some time to properly set up a car base, add a basic script to it to make it controllable and open-source it. Have fun!

blob.jpg

By default, it’s 4-wheel-drive and has a very soft suspension (good for off-road cars), but these things are easily configurable even if you’ve never touched scripting. Hopefully this helps some of you!

15 Likes

I put this together a few days ago using a bunch of the new constraints. It’s 4WD, fairly stable, and won’t normally flip unless you go up a near vertical incline.

1 Like

Since we’re posting our cars, I made a script that autogenerates chassis with Ackermann steering geometry: https://www.roblox.com/games/444197575/testplace-2000

Warning: kind of screwy

3 Likes

The place very nicely demonstrates how a wider wheel base offers better stability, and why rear wheel drive is the inferior drive type in terms of handling.

Also, since we’re now showing off, here’s 2 cars I built using my suspension setup:

3 Likes

Yeah, I forgot to revert my crazy torque to the rear wheels though. They basically always break loose since the friction model isn’t really perfect (nor is it even close since it’s still plastic material)

1 Like