New Group Methods and events

I can see this being potentially problematic, as I have a Script Builder on my account, and I also own several fairly popular groups… :\

I could obviously sandbox it, but there’s going to be a period from when ROBLOX releases the feature to when the game is actually updated… You know, a good idea for when ROBLOX comes out with these potentially exploitable methods: Only enable them if the game was last updated after the functions were released. That would’ve been pretty important for that SavePlace thing (Now I have like 400 extra versions on my SB because people like loopsaving for some reason)

Also, why is everyone and their mother making a ROBLOX API? And why are they just copying the official docs’ theme? Honestly, I wouldn’t use anyone’s ROBLOX API because it just isn’t reliable. I have no way of knowing that your API will actually be working. Meh.

[quote]
Also, why is everyone and their mother making a ROBLOX API? And why are they just copying the official docs’ theme? Honestly, I wouldn’t use anyone’s ROBLOX API because it just isn’t reliable. I have no way of knowing that your API will actually be working. Meh. [/quote]

We’re making APIs because ROBLOX stop us from sending requests to *.roblox.com and they don’t allow us to have header manipulation so we don’t have to make our own APIs.

We’re using the official documentation CSS because:
a) we’re too lazy to make our own
b) that theme works so well.

We definitely need at least PromptGroupJoin, it’d make a huge difference for the growth potential of groups. This is pretty long overdue.

You mean, throw it in the user’s face so they join a group that they will probably never look at again? Not sure if I’m feeling it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

:sweat_smile: No, not throw it in the user’s face. Friend request prompts are a good example of how it can be added in a discreet, optional, ignorable way—unlike PromptPurchase. Free models that abuse it would obviously gain a bad, annoying reputation.

The key is to have the functionality available at all, so that we can leverage it in the specific cases where it has a very powerful, beneficial effect for the user :key: Especially since looking for group links in place descriptions, and searching groups by name is really inconvenient and a barrier to providing that engagement and community that the user may want.

It’s already possible to throw group join offers in users’ faces. You can continually check which groups they’re in, and bring up a GUI that asks them to join your group. That GUI could pop up every couple of minutes or even not be able to be closed until they join the group. Nobody does that though. Why? Because nobody would play their game if it were that intrusive. This is applicable to join prompts as well. Games that don’t spam group join offers also won’t magically start doing so if there was a prompt for joining a group.

4 Likes

Was searching for groups and found this, are these features ever coming out? (yes this is a year old but i was still wondering)

I still feel like PromptGroupJoin would be a great addition to Roblox, surpised this hasn’t been added yet.

3 Likes

If this was localscript only, an exploiter could easily make an instance and promote themselves… Serverscripts are secure if you know how to manage data.

This is a great feature request overall and I wish it would come. As Roblox expands, these features become more needed.

2 Likes

I don’t think you understand localscripts.

Localscripts are only activated on the local player.
Meaning they can’t activate it for other people.

I do understand local scripts… I clearly stated they could promote themselves

Even if they can’t promote other people from the localscript, you don’t want them to also be able to promote themselves either.

Ah, I completely misread this thread after a while, I was thinking this was just for PromptGroupJoin. Apologies.

1 Like

It’s been over 8 years, yet we still don’t have this. Honestly saddening.

5 Likes