New Selection Object

Currently, we only have SelectionBox and SelectionSphere, and these were sufficient in the past. But now, as ROBLOX moves forward allowing us to upload meshes and with the new R15-Rigs, we’re trying to move away from the “blocky” feel but still maintain it slightly.

Anyways, I am suggesting a new SelectionObject, one that follows the rendered outline of an object.

Example without suggested new selectionobject:

Example SurfaceTransparency = 1:

Example SurfaceTransparency = 1, bigger OutlineSize:

Example SurfaceTransparency = .5:

Example SurfaceTransparency = .5 OutlineSize = 0:

AlwaysOnTop property would be a very nice and desired bonus property.

This would look much better in games than having a square selection around an object that is nowhere near the shape of a cuboid:

168 Likes

It would need to have an “AlwaysOnTop” property like billboard gui’s so you could see them through walls.

Because I would use these for NPC/Player X-Ray

But this would be amazing, yes.

22 Likes

AlwaysOnTop? Yeah, that’s actually a brilliant idea I didn’t think of!

7 Likes

This would totally be so useful for tight areas where you need to build some detail. Also super useful when you want to change the color of a lot of parts to see how it looks with everything else you have but you don’t want all those annoying outlines.

2 Likes

This would be absolutely fantastic

1 Like

Today on the list of “Things I didn’t even know I needed”…
This would be fantastic, especially if it included an ‘AlwaysOnTop’ property.

9 Likes

Heck yeah.

However, this is useful beyond selections (e.g. highlighting enemies and mission objectives), and the name SelectionObject would cause confusion with the existing Selection class. Also, silhouettes and silhouette edges are two different behaviors that should be split up into separate classes.
Here’s a possibility:

SilhouetteAdornment
	Instance Adornee
	bool     AlwaysOnTop
	Color3   Color
	bool     Enabled
	number   Transparency

SilhouetteEdgeAdornment
	Instance Adornee
	bool     AlwaysOnTop
	Color3   Color
	number   EdgeSize
	bool     Enabled

I was thinking that they would apply to the adornee and all drawable descendants of the adornee. That would be the easiest to deal with from our end.

16 Likes

This would be great!!

But where’s the AlwaysOnTop property?

Anyways, This would be great!![2]

1 Like

I wasn’t suggesting to call it SelectionObject lol, but your suggestion of naming it SilhouetteWhatever is good.

However, I don’t see why the edge/outline should be seperated from the surface? All other selection objects have the outline and surface selections combined and I don’t see any benefit from seperating them, infact it’d be a lot more conveniant if they were combined.

2 Likes

Full support for this! It will make selection look so much nicer!

13 Likes

Is there a compelling reason to combine them? If not, they’re entirely different behaviors and should be treated that way.

Added that and an Enabled bool

http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/HandleAdornment

To follow current conventions, it should probably be a single instance.

SilhouetteAdornment

edit
Ooh, I just realized the confusion.

HandleAdornments don’t have outlines, selectionboxes/spheres do.

If it was going to be a HandleAdornment instead of SelectionObject, then we’d need a separate SilhouetteEdgeAdornment

Amazing!
Not only it looks way cooler, but it gives more reliable info what you want to select.

For the surface, if it had a texture property, we could do cool things like this:

More examples:
12 Likes

Support so hard.

6 Likes

So many possibilites for visual effects & better UX options. Yes please!!

7 Likes

This is something we all would like to see and hopefully soon :smiley:

1 Like

I wonder if it’s gonna appear on Trello soon. It’s been months, OP gained 50 likes, what else do we need? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@spotco would be the one to ask. He manages the client side of the Trello board.

2 Likes