Old terrain is deprecated and will be removed in January 2017

Yes, we should definitely make a better mountain tool for smooth terrain. Would you mind posting to Studio Features? It will get added to Studio Trello for voting.

3 Likes

Sure thing

1 Like

@zeuxcg To be more descriptive about my ā€œCellIdā€ question, theres an unused constructor in the Lua environment, called CellId.new(). It was added around the time Terrain was first introduced, but it was never used for anything. Is that going to get removed too?

1 Like

Itā€™s hard to tell. We are playing with different shape formations (e.g. see Pavement as a recent example), however 100% cubic materials proved a bit of a mixed experiment:

• More options for building are great
  • It sometimes blends nicely with neighboring materials, yielding look thatā€™s really difficult to get with parts
  • However, itā€™s pretty much impossible to control the shaping to make sure results are always good
  • Additionally, blending and texturing remain a challenge on the interface with other materials
1 Like

CellId isā€¦ strange. It does not seem to be used in any APIs that currently exist, and Iā€™m not sure why exactly a game developer would use it in their scripts.

In general weā€™re not removing any APIs as part of removing old terrain, but we can look at whether CellId is actually used, and if it isnā€™t we could remove it.

1 Like

Migrate all the tools from the old terrain to new. Thatā€™s really the only reason I still use old terrain, For the tools in studio.

3 Likes

Rest in peace, freeflight by @Crazyman32 will never be the same againā€¦

5 Likes

You can easily make a plugin that just aggregates all old tools and use it with smooth terrain.

Are there some specific tools youā€™re missing from old terrain in new terrain?

Elevation adjuster is really the only tool that I would love to see in smooth terrain. Really easy to use if you wanting to make huge mountain ranges and stuff like that.

1 Like

I also found this one in the plugins library.

Heres the link if anyone wants it https://www.roblox.com/library/446625927/Edited-Elevation-Adjuster

2 Likes

I just wanted to note this real quick.
The current Terrain icon () is clearly based on the old terrain engine.
Will an artist get around to updating this at some point?

3 Likes

Probably gonna be like a ball of dirt terrain with grass on top

1 Like

There is the famfamfam silk icons, which are already plentiful in Roblox studio. We could possibly find something from there if you can find something relevant.

3 Likes

Whoever named that is a legend

Maybe Mark James (main page)?

[quote]
Welcome to famfamfam.com, personal site and web playground of Birmingham (UK) based developer Mark James.[/quote]
Last thing he put up was 2006ā€¦ which was the last version of the icons.

1 Like

Super late reply, but @Akiyba gave me some advice and told me to make a small mountain, then you can use the region tool to resize and polish it for bigger mountains. This is what we did for Skydiving Simulator!

Iā€™d honestly love to see a ton of those icons be implemented

Iā€™ve implemented a bunch of them on the wiki.

1 Like

Smooth terrain definitely looks better. Thank you for the advanced warning. Iā€™m working on some back-end updates and removing a lot of pay-to-play stuff in my old game now. Iā€™ll just release a current version with smooth terrain this month. Although, re-doing days of work in 3ds Max doesnā€™t sound fun or feasible in coordination with my IRL job. );

1 Like

Looks like Iā€™ll be using the old terrain until Iā€™m forced to convert. Developers need control over the reflectance of smooth terrain water.

Old Terrain

Smooth Terrain