Old terrain is deprecated and will be removed in January 2017

Neither is destroying Zombiesdale.

3 Likes

You’ve been given half a year to update your game – by not taking advantage of that, you have only yourself to blame. The game hasn’t been updated since 2014 and has 0 players online as well, so there doesn’t appear to be much to “destroy” to begin with.

11 Likes

These are the dev forums, not all talk roblox.

There’s no need to “destroy” people here.

3 Likes

Sorry.

1 Like

Smooth terrain isn’t a plug-and-play replacement for old terrain. It’s lacking most of the materials, and most of the ones that are present are too…smooth. I’d have to use part voxels, and making a performant part-based voxel system in Roblox is just not something my life leaves me time for.

4 Likes

I’m super looking forward to this. With a single terrain type, I should be able to use insertservice on a terrainregion and load it client side, giving me the opportunity to make a custom loading screen while the terrain loads. This way players wont think they disconnected even if the loading takes a while.

tl;dr I want this & I need this!

This is now enabled on the server & client, but not in Studio yet. This will probably be enabled in Studio next Monday, and then we’ll gradually start removing old terrain code & assets, marking APIs as deprecated (like ConvertToSmooth etc.).

3 Likes

Will TerrainRegion APIs be converted to use normal data types? CFrame / Region3 rather than Region3int16 etc.

Figured I should mention that thumbnails with the old terrain aren’t updated.

1 Like

Yeah - I have it on my list to get new CopyRegion/PasteRegion that work with Region objects and/or Vector3. There was some minor debate about design last time I worked on this, need to resurrect this and finish.

Yeah this is not going to change unfortunately - we don’t have the capability of invalidating just thumbnails that used old terrain, and we aren’t going to invalidate all place thumbnails :slight_smile:

Oh no! Your King’s Landing! The walls look melted Kings Landing - Roblox

1 Like

It looks like the old terrain engine has been completely turned off now.

1 Like

Sadness

5 Likes

kri kri

1 Like