Party teleports are live for all users

Hey Developers,

Last month we released party teleports to beta testers. Now we are opening this feature up to everyone!

Party teleports let you keep players together when teleporting them to a different server.

Here are a few examples of use cases:

• When players walk to the edge of a level, you want to teleport them as a group to the adjacent level
  • You want to teleport players from the game’s lobby to a new match or a match that is already in progress
  • You want to keep players together when teleporting them back to the lobby

Please try out this feature and let us know what you think!

FAQ

Q: How are party teleports different from teleporting players to the same reserved server?
A: With party teleports, you have the guarantee that all the players you send will have a dedicated slot. With reserved servers, you have to keep track of running servers and hope that the servers do not fill up before all players arrive.

Q: What about all the other cool things I want to do with teleports?
A: We know there is a lot of additional functionality you want from teleports. Feel free to submit feature requests for things you want added.

Special thanks to nsgriff, oldmannt, and ThorIsViking for making this a reality!

76 Likes

Hay
That’s pretty good.

On a serious note, I still need some clarification on how to send a party of players to a reserved server in particular.

6 Likes

How would this work if you wanted to have a few players teleport and then have others follow when they need to teleport? And in this case, what would happen if there is too many players in the receiving server?

2 Likes

TeleportToPlaceInstance?

2 Likes

Very proud of Nathan!

5 Likes

Very proud of Nathan!

10 Likes

Very proud of Nathan!

5 Likes

Proud of Nathan?

1 Like

Woohoo! I’m so glad this feature was added, it’s been something I personally have wanted for a long time.

2 Likes

Very proud of Nathan!

7 Likes

Very proud of Nathan!

2 Likes

Oh, documentation says it returns the instance id. That works.

1 Like

To send players to a private server, use TeleportService:TeleportToPrivateServer(). The only reason we would consider adding an API to teleport multiple players simultaneously to a private server is to provide an “all or nothing” guarantee so that either the teleport will fail and all players will stay put or all players will be sent to the private server.

If you want to teleport other players later, you can use TeleportService:GetPlayerPlaceInstanceAsync() and pass the return value to TeleportService:TeleportToPlaceInstance().

6 Likes

Are load times with TeleportPartyAsync faster than teleporting everyone to a ReservedServer?

During my game’s testing, when we have 25+ people being TPed at once to the actual game from the lobby, it would take 30 seconds to a minute to load. With a smaller amount, it was fine, but I’d like to know if this is better for loading performance.

I get this error.
https://gyazo.com/aeb00eee7108a9de9aed11414ffb7513

Or this error whenever I try to use it
https://gyazo.com/46acfa0f3d609d061532a88830626d52

ReservedServers work fine, I really want to test if this is better performance-wise.

2 Likes

Would we ever get a :GetPlaceInstances() function of some sort to see what servers are active and how many players are in each? Because atm I see no use for this other than to teleport squads to matches together as there is no way to see what servers are open.

6 Likes

Very proud of Nathan!

2 Likes

This would be the greatest feature of all time.

2 Likes

Very proud of Nathan!

7 Likes

yeah ok image

Anyways thank you so much!

VERY PROUD OF NATHAN!

1 Like

I agree that this would be a great feature

1 Like