R-15 should be made more efficient

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to create a game with large player counts without lag getting the best of the game due to the default Roblox avatar.

If a game were to have 50 player servers with everyone using the default R-15 avatar (not including for hats) it would add about 140k tris to the base geometry.

Hats are high in tris count, my character is over 10k triangles

Meanwhile the RTitanic dev team works to create highly efficient models for our game. My character is 4% of the tris of this entire ship.

If I were to have 50 player servers with an average of 5k triangles per person, it would add 250k tris, which is a 94% increase in tris to the ship model from above, just for using the very celebrated R-15 avatar.

If tris within the humanoid model matter less because they get some priority, let me know.

Currently in the game, the ship has over 1M tris. Rendering is a huge deal in this game. Tris needs to be extremely efficient or we end up with mobile players crashing to such a point where the average visit time is less than 40% of computer time. These stats don’t reflect the game with the highly efficient ship from the picture from above, it features the 1M+ tris ship

The R-15 avatar should be much more efficient in tris count by default.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve the efficiency of all games and make the development experience better for everyone.

23 Likes

Please realize that this is not an R15 issue. This is a package issue. It is just exacerbated by the higher number of body parts that R15 characters have.

I’m unsure if this is isolated to just the brick package, but assuming it is not, to completely fix this issue would mean to optimize all packages.

4 Likes

The blender pic above isn’t of a package R-15

Nevertheless, don’t optimize all of them, maybe just the top 5% most worn

The new eggs have over 3k triangles. They should be optimized as well, because mobile or low-end users will suffer the most.

Right now we have to rely on Jailbreak-like details for buildings, so the brick count won’t kill our machines.

2 Likes

Like other devs have already said, a lot of Roblox meshes contain way more triangles than they really ought to. Didn’t believe it myself until I imported a Union into Blender, spent half a day manually removing duplicate geometry (admittedly I didn’t know about the cleanup tools yet). I do agree that Roblox-provided assets should be better optimized.

4 Likes