Reinstate new-window Play Solo

As a ROBLOX developer, it used to be quite easy to develop and bug test at the same time. Here are a list of useful features that Play Solo gave developers:

• You don’t risk losing anything in your studio window because it’s a separate window
  • It is possible to save everything created in Play Solo, not just script modifications
  • Creates a backup in the form of Visit.rbxl

With the removal of out-of-window Play Solo, if you try to use build tools that aren’t plugins, you’re basically just up the creek.

16 Likes

I’ve known that the “Play Solo” option for studio was deprecated a long time ago, or at least I thought it was. But it was still possible to use via its shortcut or using the quick access bar.

However both of these methods are gone now :frowning:

If anyones wondering why I still chose to use play solo it was because it was easier then playing the entire game and losing your studio window (by using the play buttons or whatever) and it only opened 1 new window with your own character as opposed to starting a test server with 2 new windows.

Oh well.

[Posted previously by NWSpacek [Merged topic for more info]

1 Like

FFS.

For the record, I also like and use the make-a-new-window-play-solo. I’m really unsure why they want to featureblock us users like this, especially since its behavior is so similar to Start Server.

• Your character appears fully clothed in Play Solo
  • You don’t risk losing everything/anything in your studio window
  • You can play solo and run studio at the same time, so you can fix multiple bugs per test session
  • Your character is deposited where your camera is.
7 Likes

That’s not what we’re talking about.

1 Like

Sorry, that wasn’t clear. I had no idea there was still a new-window Play Solo.

1 Like

I’m looking into it. I doubt this was intentional. I use new-window play solo too.

2 Likes

As an aside, ROBLOX forcibly shut down my studio sessions when I tried opening a new one, so it could apply the update. I try not to assume the worst, but dang it sure did feel like ROBLOX was coming down with Thor’s hammer for this.

1 Like

Yeah that happens with every studio update. I know the pain. Every Tuesday I lose all my windows. >_<

Really? Maybe I’ve just not had multiple studio sessions open the past few Tuesdays.

1 Like

Retracted old post. I was using an older instance of studio. When I restarted I got the latest flags, which contain this: "FFlagStudioDisablePlaySoloAction": "True"

It seems to be an intentional change. I don’t personally see a need for two partially-flawed features that do the same thing, so I’m all for play solo being removed, so long as it’s truly obsolete. Would be nice if the in-window play solo gracefully handled crashing so you wouldn’t lose your work. As for the saving, play solo is for testing – not development.

If you’re developing in play solo or using build tools, yes I know old habits die hard, but you need to get rid of them eventually. The only value of those two is not having to learn anything new, but with development you’re always having to learn something new anyway. I used to use build mode, but find that freecam development – for both building and programming – is superior to doing the same with a character. Don’t fight change just because it’s change.

4 Likes

This ain’t no useless Build Mode on the site. This is F6 play solo, a mix of F5 test and F7 start server/player. For instanced testing with your own character. Pls giv back

1 Like

(Agree with your other points btw, but thought this might be useful for anyone who didn’t notice it! )

Snake seems to be using SystemMenu, and in SystemMenu you have the choice of Start Server/Player, which deposits you at the spawn locations, or the (hidden) in-window Play Solo which deposits you at the spawn locations. Unmentioned of course is Play Solo, which deposits you at the camera location, but it’s been removed.

1 Like

I’m not using system menu you could still use play solo with F6 and the quick access bar with the ribbon bar.

1 Like

Wait what

1 Like

As a ROBLOX developer, it used to be quite easy to develop and bug test at the same time. Here are a list of useful features that Play Solo gave developers:

• You don’t risk losing anything in your studio window because it’s a separate window
  • It is possible to save everything created in Play Solo, not just script modifications
  • Creates a backup in the form of Visit.rbxl

With the removal of out-of-window Play Solo, if you try to use build tools that aren’t plugins, you’re basically just up the creek.

10 Likes

Doesn’t it autosave when you launch Play Solo?

2 Likes

Oh, right – I forgot about that. Yes, it does. Because of this, you shouldn’t lose any work, but crashing just the test is more convenient than crashing your entire Studio instance, so there’s room for improvement with in-window.

2 Likes

I used it to keep my tests completely isolated from my working copy, which the non-new-window play solo option doesn’t do. Start server would certainly work for this purpose, but I’d have to load a massive place twice instead of just once. I’d appreciate this removal being reversed.

Why? ROBLOX isn’t going to revert the change without understanding why you need the old behavior.

1 Like