Reminder Regarding Permissible Links

I can understand banning links to it, but the word itself, is a bit too much.

For starters, Discord is an actual word;

And again, the word isn’t a link, discordapp.com and discord.gg are links.

31 Likes

No offense, but your filter (roblox) is already terrible as it is and lazy how things like “hill” can even get filtered so I cant even say “King of the Hill.”

To actual be banning the word now is excessive and just sorry when you cant even get your filtering right for innocent words like my problem.

14 Likes

I’m sure someone has mentioned this, but I can’t find a reply about it in this large number of replies. So if this is a duplicate, feel free to point me to the proper replies.

It really doesn’t make sense to ban discord to all users. If the problem here is that ROBLOX doesn’t want <13 users viewing discord links and checking out discord, then the censorship program should only censor the use of the word “discord” for <13 users.

If you’re logged into a <13 account and you’re viewing a profile that has a discord id in their blurb, then it should be censored. If you’re logged into a 13+ account, content regarding discord should not be censored.

This is what we have the 13+ system for, is it not? If content such as discord is banned for all users, including 13+, then there is no point in having a differentiation between <13 and 13+.

11 Likes

That is like.
Everywhere in this post.

for instance

5 Likes

Whoops. There are 194 replies and I was scrolling through, but my eyes became glazed over from all the posts.

1 Like

Yeah obviously, that’s why they’re restating it. Because apparently nobody here got the memo that discord is counted as an offsite link. It’s the #1 blatant rule violation which is why they’re specifically mentioning it in this instance.

1 Like

And apparently you didn’t get the memo about Roblox staff promoting the usage of Discord here and at RDC as a community building tool.

11 Likes

Sorry that I only take the actual official TOS into consideration when judging whether something is or isn’t against the rules

Did you not read anything else that I said…??

You literally just regurgitated what the staff have said several times, we know this, why are you replying with this?

My main point is that it’s being Completely blacklisted. Not just the links, I don’t care about links, of-course it’s against the tos what ever, who cares move on.

The word itself, and any mention of it anywhere is what is completely banned, and they are twisting it making it seem like the word is a link.

11 Likes

It seems he didn’t read anything of what you said tbh. He went a totally other direction.

However, it is quite condradictory to suggest using Discord at RDC and Roblox-official events, then ban it?

9 Likes

That’s a suggestion from one of the game design/development talks AFAIK. It’s fine to use Discord for whatever you want to use it for, you just can’t link users to it through the website directly. You are of course allowed to share Discord links with your developers through other ways, like devforum DMs, twitter DMs, etc.

3 Likes

From what I am understanding, you are allowed to have discord you just aren’t able to openly advertise it.

6 Likes

I can imagine because it is hard to filter out Discord links otherwise, since you can say “Discord: XXXX” where X is just a random code that is hard to create a filter rule for (might make the filter trigger more false positives for other cases). Removing the ability to say “Discord” makes it one step harder to link users to Discord guilds, which is intended since it’s off-site linking.

1 Like

Are we allowed to privately message users our discord links?

2 Likes

The off-site linking rule applies everywhere on www.roblox.com.

1 Like

You know, usually when a company or game implements an update that causes each and every single user and developer to become upset and verbally speak out against it… that company should take the hint that perhaps that update shouldn’t be implemented or find an appropriate alternative…

This is basically the EA situation but instead of micro transactions it’s about restricting and censoring players and banning those who disobey the rule. Atleast EA went and fixed the situation…

22 Likes

More like kicked the can down the road imo

5 Likes

Congrats Roblox, you’ve triggered every developer you rely upon by taking away a vital platform for most developers without a way to pivot. Or maybe it’s just a lack of details.

My game’s fanbase has been built on Discord just as many others and this will create a large pain point if you continue as stated. I respect the goal to create a safe platform and Discord is simply out of your control. I do not respect how you’re sending warnings and deleting links while not providing an alternative solution.

I ask that you not heavily crack down moderation until an alternative is provided.
Consider this an unspoken rule that you should not break,
Do not be like YouTube and change crap that triggers every single creator without a warning and alternative. Provide an alternative, then announce the changes.

You have the best intentions Roblox, but please reconsider how you think you’re going to go about this.

Edit: To clarify, I respect the decision to get rid of discord, but definitely provide an alternative before mass warnings are sent out.

21 Likes

They never allowed Discord links on the main site in the first place, FYI. It has always been against the rules to post these links, and if you were to report them in the past and they ended up in the moderation queue, they would have been removed.

6 Likes

The rules never changed, but the enforcement has. Prior to this change in enforcement, Roblox communities flourished through Discord because no one ever reported them. Now that an effort is being made to retroactively remove them, it has become difficult to manage online communities.

No one is complaining that the rules changed – they’re complaining that the enforcement has changed. Most users understood that Discord was never allowed – they didn’t care because it empowered them to create amazing online communities – so mentioning that it has always been against the rules is just alluding to the obvious, and not addressing user concerns such as how they can build successful online communities now.

9 Likes