Reminder Regarding Permissible Links

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

Discord loves to work with partners, so I’m sure if Roblox approached them they could implement some kind of verification or whatever that would make it easier for Roblox to moderate/approve servers that the Roblox community makes.

35 Likes

I dislike the recent trend of throwing something at the community and offering no solution of equal value which ultimately leaves a ton of people disenfranchised.

This happened with server lists, to list an example. We all know how that went.

26 Likes

I’m guessing no, but would something like this be allowed?:

Communications: aBcDEf

It does not mention Discord in any way, nor does it provide a direct link. Honestly, I don’t see why it’d break the policies in the OP.

3 Likes

As explicitly stated that isn’t allowed.

2 Likes

Word of mouth by people is still strong and so long as friends are sharing those invite codes there’s nothing stopping people from joining. I understand the legallity of disassociating from Discord as a high risk but it is already too far engraved into this community that you can’t ignore it – it’s here to stay.

14 Likes

I saw that, but in Night’s post, he specifically mentioned Discord. In my case, Discord is not mentioned in any way.

There are 0 references to Discord, just “Communications”.

2 Likes

As he said:

tl;dr - You’re sharing what is obviously a discord invite. It’s useless to anyone who doesn’t have discord, so it’s encouraging the user to go offsite.

1 Like

It’s not really encouraging them to go off-site since they most likely don’t even know what Discord is and how the invites work if they don’t have it.

5 Likes

No. It is encouraging discord users to go offsite instead of using built-in features like Group Wall.

“It’s useless to anyone who doesn’t have discord, so it’s encouraging the user to go offsite.”

An item is useless to anyone who doesn’t have it, so it’s encouraging the person to buy it.

That doesn’t make sense.

6 Likes

You are probably thinking that “Join our Discord group: <code here>” is encouraging, but “Communications: <code here>” is not because you did not directly encourage them to go to Discord.

Yet, we must not forget that Roblox is a social site and that people are curious. Someone who does not know about Discord will wonder why strings of seemingly random characters are seen all around the site – and they will ask about it. And they will be told to get Discord by other players.

It encourages the behavior that leads players to Discord indirectly. Perhaps you have a problem with the terminology used, but the actual effects of giving out Discord codes without mentioning Discord are still real. Players will still end up getting Discord, even if you don’t directly tell them to get it.

7 Likes
  • Moved here by request of @Nightgaladeld

I am extremely unhappy with the responses and decision made on behalf of ROBLOX.

As stated by not only myself, but hundreds of other developers Discord is a huge part of ROBLOX whether ROBLOX chooses to accept it or not, I have hundreds of daily active users in my Discord and it is directly based on Development and improving your skills, our server offers to view users creations, gain help far easier from specific roles of developers (such as Builders, Scripters, Animators, SFX Artist and more…), and without access for our code to be displayed on the ROBLOX website or on off-site there is no chance that anyone ROBLOX related is going to find our server.

Discord is also used by hundreds of major developers to promote their games and keep in close contact with their fan base to promote what they have created.

Links to other important posts that should be reviewed:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/reminder-regarding-permissible-links/61736/90?u=headlesshorror

Just from these links you can see the horrific responses ROBLOX is getting and this will not stop. With no way to interact with my community, I have less and less reason to stay and develop on ROBLOX as all we are given is more restrictions and more and more ways blocked of interacting with our fans.

More links include:

Even the biggest frontpage developers are slamming down on your decisions which shows how horrific of a change you made.

29 Likes

???
I think this was pretty explicitly answered man :slight_smile:
(meant as a reply to @RafDev not unix)

2 Likes

At the same time though you need to recognize that Discord is a ticking PR timebomb, which is never good for a platform that is specifically targeting children

1 Like

Could do some kind of a setting allowing ‘connection’ of discord, needing to be allowed through an email confirmation and it means that discord links show on games which have been verified, and there would also be like a T&C which shows up saying roblox has no responsibility for it.

4 Likes

Discord is so helpful for communities and developers to get together. I understand the whole point of keeping “kids friendly” but there should be like a policy to monitor that instead. Maybe set it so that only 13 or older could see the links.

11 Likes

A little break from the discord discussion here but what i really think is lacking in the offsite whitelist is academic websites. Twitter, Youtube, etc are great and all but what about sites like khan academy or wikipedia? A lot of questions asked in the scripters roblox forum could be answered with a simple link to an article or something.

And please please please let us link to lua.org, i recently was given a warning for a link to lua.org i posted a few years ago. It has some super useful resources like the lua manual and an entire book written by the creator of lua (https://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html) to help you learn the language.

It would be awesome if a more extensive list of whitelisted websites could be procured, would seriously help the scripters forum.

19 Likes

Is scriptinghelpers.org whitelisted? Doesn’t seem to work for me, seems a bit stupid if it is since its literally a scripting site made around roblox lol…

9 Likes

Not moderated by roblox - it’s run by someone on the Roblox Platform.

This is a big liability for staff.

The preferred method of asking help is thru. Dev Support

1 Like