Reminder Regarding Permissible Links

Gucci news :ok_hand:

Can this actually be placed on the Roblox’ official terms / rules?

I just had someone asked about the use of Discord links via Twitter linked to Roblox, and I had to search my way to RBXDev (not even the terms / rules) to find an answer.

One should not be required to find his way to a developers forum to gain knowledge of rules that apparently don’t even legally exist. If you can find the rules regarding off-site links in the terms / rules, feel free to notify me of my mistake.

14 Likes

It “technically” is, the off-site links rule covers this, except, it doesn’t by definition SINCE DISCORD THE WORD ISNT A LINK cover the word itself, nor codes, SINCE THEY ARE ALSO NOT LINKS.

Excuse my uh, minor rage.

8 Likes

Your rage is not relevant to my question. I honestly don’t care about whether they are links, codes or words specifically (you don’t have to shout that), as it is a general question regarding stuff going off-site from semi off-site and why I’m unable to find this in the official rules.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he’s just stating that roblox filters real words because they relate to a program. Doesn’t look directed at you.

1 Like

If by real word you mean Discord, it is a normal word. This isn’t filtered.

This word is filtered. The work around is d2scord. It’s an annoyance but on topic, they should unfilter it after a while.

6 Likes

Then it must have been filtered recently because some time ago someone said it just fine.

There is actually nothing regarding off-site links being posted… I honestly think this was only stated in the now, non-existent forums.

And, in the community guidelines… there isn’t anything about links at all

Why are rules, that aren’t listed visibly in the Terms of Service, or the Community Guidelines being harshly enforced?

The only things I found in the ToS itself is this;

There is nothing in the ToS or Community Guidelines specifically stating off-site links are not allowed

And in the “Roblox Privacy and Cookie Policy” this is all I found;

Why are we being punished for rules that we can’t even specifically find?

Nothing in anything that I linked specifically states that off-site links are not allowed. If anything, it gives users the impression that they are allowed, and that they need to be careful with what they click on.

22 Likes

The word “Discord” is not a link – IMO it shouldn’t be blocked any more than “Skype” or games for older players like “Skyrim”. It is blocked to make circumventing the rules more difficult, but at the cost of legitimate conversation.

The codes are attempts to bypass rules (no directing users offsite), so they are definitely against the rules, just as linking Imgur images as /asdasf.png is. If you’re going to ask for Roblox to change for the better, you should make requests that improve and only requests that improve Roblox (e.g. better clarification, better social tools, etc), rather than requesting loopholes.

Also, there are a lot of posts on this thread that need to be more civil. Know the difference between mistakes that Roblox is more than willing to resolve (lack of clarification in rules, etc) and intentional design that makes the site harder to use. Someone running around berating staff for innocent choices that lead to unintentional mistakes to the same level they do for intentional design is going to quickly lose the respect of anyone reading the thread with a level head.

8 Likes

I’m not trying to berate staff, be rude, etc I’m just asking genuine questions, because from my point of view as a user, there is no actual rules other than something a staff member said on the devforums, telling me I can’t post off-site links.

Which, for new users, is going to be really confusing as they get a warning/ban for something, that they never knew because it was never clearly defined in the actual rules.

4 Likes

It may be a stretch, but the way I read it from Roblox is that off-site links could put a child in an inappropriate situation, which is kinda explained in the rules under section 4:

1. Child endangerment. We have users of all ages and we want to create safe environment for all of them, including children. So, we do not allow any actions that could put children in inappropriate or dangerous situations

Here, Roblox explains why Twitter, Twitch and Youtube are exceptions, as well as the Roblox site allows one to link its account to these services.

I do think it would be nice if the use of off-site links (including the 3 exceptions) are nicely written down to make it clear for any user that the use of off-site links falls under inappropriate content. The prohibition of off-site links is, in my opinion, one of the most known rule under veterans. Right now it’s rather unclear and could indeed lead to issues with new players.

4 Likes

What about not posting discord links but posting the invitation code instead?
Would that warrant a ban?
For example, instead of posting https://discord.gg/invitecodenumber you would post invitecodenumber.

3 Likes

This has already been answered. Put in group:Roblox_Staff in the search bar and check “Search this Topic” – you’ll get a list of every staff reply.

Here is the relevant one:

1 Like

If Discord links/codes are not permitted, why does nothing happen when I report abuse games/people that use them :upside_down_face:

13 Likes

Regarding permissible links, I don’t really know what was going on with all the ROBLOX YouTubers but I respect fairness and they are supporting the community. I only want people to watch this little extract where this guy got moderated for putting his Google Plus link in his profile…despite having a section to put it?

As a separate related matter, how can we allow facebook and google plus links in the profile section also if we can’t even use the link anywhere else?

19 Likes

What about if we ourselves do not post anything related to our discord on roblox, but have our discord invitation shown to discord members?

That way, people on the discord can share the link with their friends.

Would we still be moderated if that invitation is posted (by someone else) on the group/game/pms or any other way the players can communicate?

This is because < 13 users can see Facebook/Google+ links in descriptions/etc, but they’re hidden from them in the profile links. See here for more info.

Also, take what YouTubers say with a grain of salt – it’s a lot easier to build popularity by feeding anti-Roblox propaganda than providing useful content, so that community can be pretty toxic. At the part you linked, you’ll see that he was only warned – no real moderation action was taken. That was just a heads up about policy, and nothing was done to his account. Of course, presenting it as “Roblox is out to get YouTubers!!!” will get more views though, so that’s how it was presented.

4 Likes

I think I understand what you’re asking, but I’m not sure that I do.

You are only moderated for your actions on Roblox. You will only be moderated if you post the link/id. If someone else posts your Discord group or profile id on Roblox, then they will get moderated for it, not you. As long as you don’t post any Discord ids or links on Roblox, then you’re good.

The only possible exception to this that I can think of is when you have a game that allows players to build or create their own things, and they use it to share Discord ids. I’m not sure how that is handled. I know that you aren’t responsible for chats or wall posts of other users, but you might be responsible for content created by users in your game. You’ll have to ask Roblox Staff about that.

1 Like

That makes sense.

I was wondering about that because if someone else was to make a shout with the discord id, then they would be moderated, but I was wondering if the owner would be moderated too. If not, then I would see people abusing that flaw to shout discord ids.

Then again, it wouldn’t matter to me, because the people with the power to shout wouldn’t post the discord id on there. But that got me thinking about the group wall, since you could technically choose which people are able to post on the wall as well, just like the shout.

I’ll take your word for it since that’s what makes most sense to me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like