Reminder Regarding Permissible Links

If we really want to consider going in this direction, It’s bad.

1. Want Twitter codes? There’s Twitter TOS.

2. You can link the server on your Twitter account and no one will bat an eye.

3. It might make community smaller. I’m a friendly person and I like to talk with fans.
    I do not make Discord servers for my games though…

4. Can we mention our Steam IDs or anything else?

Please, do not limit us.

12 Likes

Yes because you wouldn’t be directing users to the Discord link directly.

Cases that aren’t allowed:

• Linking to a pinned tweet with a discord link.
  • Linking to a tweet with a discord link.
  • Linking to your twitter profile / tweets and writing, on Roblox, something along the lines of: "Find the Discord guild/code/link on my Twitter: < link to your twitter profile >. This is circumvention of the rule which isn’t allowed.

Cases that are allowed (for now, as of the staff posts in this thread):

• Linking to a tweet completely unrelated to Discord without mentioning Discord on Roblox, while there is Discord information elsewhere on your Twitter.
  • Linking to your profile (not pinned tweet) which has a (pinned) tweet / bio with Discord link in it, but you don’t specifically mention Discord on Roblox where you put the link.
7 Likes

Yeah.

I think an overhaul of the parental control page would fix our problems.

Clear with a number of comprehensible settings, e.g.

Links/other websites
Can your child view potentially unsafe off-site links?
Yes/No
Can your child view whitelisted off-site links?
Yes/No

With basically settings for everything. I think this should get rid of potential issues in the future, as long as they get updated for newer features and the like.

21 Likes

If the issue is players under 13 could you not simply filter it from those who are under 13 using the existing filtering systems?

However I have personally seen some utterly deplorable content on Discord and Roblox players will be subjected to the worst of it regularly. Furthermore Roblox staff will be powerless to track reports of the inappropriate content that hides behind the links. As such I do not support allowing Discord links on Roblox.

1 Like

It’s frustrating that you can’t just post the invite to your community’s Discord server on the ROBLOX site itself, even though it could be bypassed by just making a Tweet and pasting it in there.

Wouldn’t it be possible to filter these links out for users under the age of 13? I think that that would be a fair solution for all parties.

11 Likes

You do have a point, however Roblox staff also doesn’t have any say over the content people tweet, post on YouTube, or host on Twitch.

3 Likes

Lol, kinda contradictory…

As a lot of developers on this forum are also stating Discord is a huge part of my ROBLOX experience. I currently have a partnered server (Hidden Developers) with 2,400 members which have absolutely no hope of gaining members in our Discord community since it is 100% based on ROBLOX development and learning new skills which now is completely moderated and if I try to advertise our members to join our discord I will get heavily punished for it.

My server has strict rules that are required to be followed by a professional warning system and bans for users who will not follow the set rules. I would be happy to modify the server rules in any way to allow myself to advertise the server as this is extremely important and without posting my discords code I have no hope of expanding my already huge community into something even better.

I also have a system set up so that you are required to not only wait 10 minutes but also, have verified your ROBLOX account with Discord to talk in our server.

ROBLOX staff need to put a system in place which allows users to apply for permission to have their discord server whitelisted as Discord is huge and helps developers with their server and keeping in touch with their player base so much. I currently have 3 ROBLOX staff in my Discord who actively chat and keep engaged with my users.

26 Likes

There is by far worse content on Twitter, YouTube, and Twitch. Discord is the safest as there is an actual moderation system on Discord.

16 Likes

i’m offended i wasn’t included in this :frowning: I help w/ the Roblox Community server too!

4 Likes

Love the image used. Sums up most of the major changes ROBLOX has made.

I too would like to say something, I also volunteer my time at Hidden Developers, and seeing what will happen concerns me. Like what @nforeman stated above, Twitter has far worse things on it.

Once you create an account on Discord, there’s nothing. The only way to find a server is perhaps going on Roblox and seeing a Discord code. There is no such way for a user that is 13 or younger to find him or herself in a 18+ material server without doing anything. Unless that user were to go to extreme lengths and go online to find a server of that nature, and in that case, that’s more of an issue far beyond Roblox. The Hidden Developers server, like @HoudiniDev said, is strictly moderated and all 18+ content is not allowed. We run mainly for Roblox developers to hire people and sell their services.

Twitter on the other hand is quite easy to find yourself in a bad spot. Once you’ve created an account on Twitter, you’ll find it very easy to follow certain profiles which include 18+ content. I’ve even found myself seeing this content. The point is, I hope we find a solution to this Discord link problem and I hope we find it soon.

17 Likes

One thing I haven’t really seen brought up is that this isn’t just regarding links. This is literally an attack directly at Discord in general. You physically can not mention Discord at all on the site according to this, you can post a code, the name of Discord, etc.

Which is absurd, those aren’t links, they are codes and a name. That’s kinda stretching the rules a bit too far.

18 Likes

Same with Skype, actually. But nobody cares about Skype anyway

5 Likes

Maybe in the future, bigger games with large communities, owners could send an appeal to the moderators to whitelist their Discord link. Just an idea.

4 Likes

Nevermind, just realized that @HoudiniDev suggested this already. Lol my bad.

1 Like

They already added “Discord” and “D1sc0rd” to the chat filters list…

EDIT: Not to mention that ROBLOX has an unofficial discord server that everybody enjoys, so what’s the problem…???

8 Likes

This is censorship of innocent things (and useful) at it’s finest.

There has to be more to this then they are telling us if it’s being forced this harshly.

15 Likes

All they said was “it’s due to Discord’s age restriction” even though twitter has explicit content without warnings or filters and twitter also required you to be 13+… Discord is safer than twitter due to it’s ability to block the free viewing of other severs UNLESS you input the code purposely and that’s your fault… Even NSFW servers have a filter now and it asks “Are you above the legal age to view NSFW content?” and you answer yes or no…

11 Likes

It seems to me the reason for this, given that other sites are similar regarding rules, is that “Discord” is not a household name. If bad things happen on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube, then they get in trouble. If bad things happen on Discord then Roblox looks bad for sending children to strange chat rooms. Parents haven’t been convinced that Discord is safe like Facebook and Twitter because they’ve never heard of it.

5 Likes