Remove Max Width/Height From Emulator

As a Roblox developer, it is too hard to ensure our GUIs properly scaler for high resolution screens, like 1440p (2560x1440) and UHD/“4K” (3840x2160). There is a hard limit of 2000 pixels for the width and height in the emulator, so numbers like 2560 and 3840 will get capped to 2000. It would be helpful to raise the cap to something like the max size for HDMI 2.1 (10K, or 10328x7760), or remove the maximum resolution entirely.

3 Likes

Right now, we run in 1080p on the Xbox One X. Even if we were to in the future run at native resolution, your GUI would still be sized at 1080p, just rendered more crisply/detailed.

Why are you trying to emulate a 4K device running at 1x scaling? The only platform where this is currently possible is on a Desktop PC with a 4K monitor where the user has explicitly gone into their display scaling settings and changed it from the default (2x) to 1x, in order to trade off crispness for screen real estate.

I think that allowing 1440p@1x and 2160@1x make sense for testing, but it feels like there’s a bit of an X/Y problem going on here.

1 Like

I figured Roblox ran at 1080p on console, but I just wanted to make sure my GUIs work at UHD. The Xbox One X was just an arbitrary choice instead of just labeling “UHD Display”. This limitation is independent of the emulated device though.

1 Like