Rendering issues when far away from 0,0,0 origin

I’ve been working on a train simulator for a while now, but I’ve stumbled upon an issue:

When driving away from the workspace origin (0,0,0) meshes will start shaking whenever you move/pan the camera, now I know it has to do with floating points etc., but I never expected it to start happening at only 3K away in any axis direction from the origin.

Here’s what it looks like (note that the entire train cab is 1 single mesh, not seperate parts)
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/360749331029950496/429018664205942785/cab.gif

My game is scaled down 3x (This because Z fighting was much worse back then, and having a smaller map would mean things would stay closer to the origin)

I’ve tried something tricky by moving the entire map towards the (0,0,0) origin according to the player’s current position in intervals of 1 minute, but this is extremely tricky with a bunch of other players in the game as well…
I’ve also thought about scaling up the game, but I feel like that would cause the same issue.

I’ve seen @zeuxcg say this:

But that’s already over 2 years ago, and we don’t really know whether it’s coming or not…

Any tips/suggestions/ideas? :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Well you basically can’t do anything about it, you could move the map behind the train but that would probably end up being laggy, and almost certainly mess up the current lighting

Can we get a response on this? It’s been 6 years and this still has not be corrected. I’ve been having the same problem as well as texture issues because of this. If we can get a ROBLOX staff to confirm when exactly this will be fixed, that would be fabulous.

@zeuxcg Can we get an updated response on this please.