Restore Genre Sort for Games Page

Bumping this because it did leave a mark.

Other than using the first dropdown to reach my favorites or my recent, I used the genres dropdown often. Genres were an useful tool to find new games that weren’t on the front page - I would always check on the sci-fi tab to see if something fresh was coming, but now, I have to resort to the broken search system and the almost-always-the-same front page.

I think the main reason players didn’t bother use it was because the dropdown was left sort of in the background and nobody ever thought of exploring it, as well as it not being inviting or appealing. It was literally a white box with “Gender” written on it.

Lastly, I always set the genre on every new place or model I publish, because they do help quite a lot when searching in the library or in the catalog, be me, be others - a small relief from the inaccurate search bar.

I support the bringing of this feature back. I also agree with @CodingLucas completely, as I did the same a lot.

This is still something we want back/revised.

I support bringing back this feature.

Looking back on this post, there’s a couple of things I want to say, since it seems to still be relatively relevant and is still gaining likes.

This feature request is asking for the restoration of the genre sort because no prior warning was given necessarily. I ideally would like the genre sort to be restored until an appropriate solution to game searching can be found - a feature should not be removed until an alternate is found, if one is requested or needed. No reliable alternatives are available for our usage.

Yes, there is the fact that people don’t use the genre sort or misuse it to boost themselves somewhere; however that alone doesn’t mean the genre system has been entirely futile in its purpose. The front page is hardly a fine place to find suitable games to play if it’s cluttered with botted or low-effort games. The search bar has filtering on it and the results displayed are far from accurate - there’s so much you need to do to get a relevant result.

With the genre sort, this allowed developers to reach the front pages of a certain genre and get recognition without having to fight to get on either the Featured Sort or the front page of all games (which has been hogged by the same games for straight months/years now). This is also vital to the UX in terms of finding a game of a specific genre - I haven’t found a good horror game to play in a while now because they aren’t readily available for display to me and I’ve had to rely on friends, favorites and other tabs that are far too broad. Genre sort is also helpful for developers to gather information on what players like to see and play.

The genre sort undoubtedly needs work, given the games that are showing up now, that much is right. But to call it useless, I think is greatly untrue and is only based off of personal visions for what some developers do nowadays - those opinions aren’t necessarily representative of the past or every player’s preference. The reason I ask for it back is that it gives us more time to formulate ideas as to how to improve the system while not completely removing it during that time. People still use it and want to use it, evidently. No one wants a mass of games on a singular page and people want to see what they searched for, not irrelevant results.