Roblox Graphics Issue

Now, the reason I am posting this on design is this totally affects my game’s design, and it may be also affecting some other players’.

The issue is, some weird stuff on the rendering happens (I don’t know how to call it exactly, but it is just like when you play a game with Vertical Sync off) whenever I play a game or test in Roblox. (Only in Roblox) My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 1050, while my processor is Intel i7 7th Generation, so I don’t think I have a problem with the hardware (The PC runs many big games with high quality and performance at the same time, this only happens in Roblox)

Oh, and also, I tried to force VSync on from NVIDIA Control Panel but that didn’t really fix the issue.

I tried to record the problem but there was no clarifying result. Hopefully, someone who knows about this helps.

2 Likes

I believe you’re referring to tearing, and it’s because Roblox currently runs with vsync disabled. I’m not a graphics engineer (maybe one of them will chime in on this thread), but as far as I know:

Note that this only applies to running Roblox in full-screen mode where the pass-through optimizations turn on. These optimizations only exist in Windows 10 I believe. When you run in windowed mode, we get forced into vsync.

• With double buffering + VSync on, if each frame consistently starts taking 17 milliseconds instead of 16, then you’ll run at 30 fps instead of 60. A hard cut off, which isn’t good for players with lower end PCs. The same thing also happens when a frame takes 34 milliseconds instead of 33, you’ll drop from 30 to 20.
  • With double buffering + VSync off, you get tearing.
  • Three-frame render ahead (sometimes mistakenly called triple buffering) + vsync on, you won’t get tearing, and you won’t get the frame clamping, but you will get an additional entire 16+ms of input lag.
  • True triple buffering doesn’t have any of these issues, but isn’t well supported by Windows graphics drivers.

I think it’s currently planned that we will start turning on VSync when Roblox is running at high framerates, to avoid tearing. This will also uncap us from 60 fps and allow Roblox to run at whatever your native monitor refresh rate is, as long as your PC can handle it.

Yeah, thanks for naming the issue. (tearing)

Apparently, other people were having this issue either and I probably missed it: Screen Tearing on PC

Mmm, or more than 60 FPS even if your monitor doesn’t support it? The more frames, the less input lag you have. :smiley: