See What's Coming in 2018: This Year's Developer Roadmap

Social media links still claims to be ‘delayed’ even though it has been made live to all users already. This is concerning as it makes me (and probably others) concerned with what other info on this page may not be up to date.

15 Likes

Was just about to post that. Staff, please keep this page up to date. It means a lot to be updated about these upcoming features.

11 Likes

“This is a living document and we will be updating it approximately quarterly.”

3 Likes

Hadn’t noticed this. That being said, I think updating it quarterly is far too much time for it to be a reliable resource for viewing upcoming features.

I don’t want to get the wrong idea across that the roadmap isn’t appreciated. I was very excited (and still am) when the roadmap was released, and it’s more than I expected to get. I just believe updating it quarterly is a long time, and believe updates could be more frequent. At the very least, updates could be marked as launched after launching, and all other info be reevaluated quarterly.

9 Likes

Uhh, its the middle of October?

Where’s our “On track” Automatic Image Quality?

10 Likes

Yah its about time for this page to updated.

Put new goals on there

and bump delayed goals onto different time frames.

9 Likes

Oh no. Why the delays in:

1. Packages
  2. Universe Script & Game Services

Any updated timeline in mind? I can certainly use such functionality for multiplace games.

4 Likes

Packages are also a very important feature for me, and I’d like to know the development status of this feature in greater detail.

6 Likes

Imagine

Roblox engineer stream

Even just monthly

Give us something

3 Likes

Seems to have been updated since the post above;

1 Like

A little update.

Universe Script & Game Services has been cancelled. No known reason so far, however I do hope this changes.

8 Likes

Disappointing still, doesn’t seem like we can have a cross server wide table to store matchmaking, seems more like cross server events.

5 Likes

Why are universe scripts gone? I was looking forward to this the most.

13 Likes

Oof.

1 Like

Oh wow, saw the universe thing was cancelled, disappointing, but roblox probably has their reasons. probably scalability issues. on the bright side, gives me a bigger market share to work with for backend work.

3 Likes

Sad to see that the (somewhat) replacement for universe scripts doesn’t mention any way to pull off matchmaking. Hoping a separate, better solution for matchmaking was discovered which caused the universe scripts to change into what it seems to have.

Without matchmaking, competitive games on Roblox will never be as big a success as they could be with it. Matchmaking can cause more skilled players to receive a much more difficult, enjoyable challenge when playing games than without it, and less skilled players to receive an easier challenge more fit for them. That more skilled audience is also generally older than Roblox’s current userbase (from my knowledge), and matchmaking could pull them in.

4 Likes

buildthomas’ reply suggested that Cross-Server Messaging in the 2019 roadmap is meant to be a close second, but he’s since withdrawn it so it may not actually have the same capabilities that Universe Script & Game Services were going to have. Note that they both mention leaderboards but not matchmaking.

3 Likes

Any ideas why they canceled it? Or are they just keeping quiet?

2 Likes

No answers at the moment, we’re only aware via the Roadmap that it’s been cancelled. Knowing Roblox, we’ll either get an explanation sometime soon or not for a while. I’d probably guess that universe-level scripts could have become too problematic to implement or they’ve decided that there’s a better way (if not just a new Service) that doesn’t require a new type of script.

5 Likes

:slight_smile:

1 Like