Some users cannot join Jailbreak!

So this is a weird one. Getting a few reports from users saying they cannot join Jailbreak at all. I’ve got an image of the error below. It’s a standard ID=17 connection error.

1. The issue happens on ALL of their devices. Phones, tablets, computers.
  2. Resetting their router or moving to 4G does not work, not a network issue.
  3. The issue ONLY happens on Jailbreak! The issue conveniently disappears for other games. I’m thinking because Jailbreak is the only game really using Smooth Terrain, it’s a Smooth Terrain issue.
  4. THE FIX is to re-install Roblox, which makes me feel confident that it’s not an issue with Jailbreak.
  5. We’re only hearing about it in the last day.
  6. I held a twitter poll and an absurd 25% claim they cannot join Jailbreak at all. I’m going to assume it’s not accurate however as we’re not getting a flood of reports about this.

19 Likes

This happened to me before. I was casually playing Jailbreak with @IcyTea and suddenly lost connection. Wasn’t able to play for 30-40 minutes. I could still play other roblox games. Sent him this tweet in a joking manner.

Weird to see it happen to so many people.

1 Like

I was having a very small amount of people with this same issue in my game, but I only have a few hundred in it because it’s just a test place currently
My lobby and menus use smooth terrain as well

related?

ID 17 comes from bad connection between the user’s network and roblox.
Try and join at a different time, or try a different network.
Or not be at school/work.
As schools restrict network send/recive.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to play for awhile now because of this cry

2 Likes

Small sample size, but iirc the users in this thread who have been directly affected all live in Europe so far. Possibly a problem with European servers?

All the more reason to have dedicated servers somewhere in europe :^)

4 Likes

They have servers in europe.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for posting about this issue. I experienced the same issue joining a Roblox game and the only way to fix it was by shutting down the game server. I will have someone investigate tomorrow and post on this thread with updates.

Thank you,
Developer Relations Team

I witnessed this happening when I was on a server yesterday.
The game lost connection and when I attempted to rejoin the server I was in, the ID=17 error occurred. The server is probably hanging somehow.

1 Like

Note that when you get id=17 it means that the connection to the server could not be established at all. As such it’s very unlikely to be related to a specific feature. In general it can happen if:

• The server can’t start or startup takes too long
  • The server hangs or crashes at some point during the game join
  • UDP traffic between client/server is blocked at some point (can be client’s ISP, can be our game servers, etc.)
2 Likes

Not sure if this is related, but in the past few days I’ve suddenly been receiving reports of people randomly crashing in our game Polyguns. The problem appears to have started happening on the 22nd of this month (July) so just 4 days ago. I played for a while and had it occur to me as well but I can’t find a cause. I did check the dev console before closing the Roblox player and I couldn’t see anything that looked as though it caused the crash and we haven’t updated the game recently so I’m quite sure it’s not from an update of ours.

This issue (the one relating to crashing in polyguns) will be addressed with the release tomorrow.

2 Likes

Thank you! Glad you here there’s a fix coming and that it we didn’t cause it. Am I allowed to let people know there’s a fix coming?

go ahead

2 Likes

Cool, thanks :slight_smile:

If it’s the same problem we had, we disabled sound-groups as a temporary fix., I don’t know if we are having the same problem though

1 Like

Why would it affect only certain games across all devices? Do specific games run on different Roblox servers?

1 Like

No, not really. Some of the issues I highlighted are usually due to infrastructure/network, others are due to a specific place hitting a performance/scalability limit. I’m not sure what is causing issues with Jailbreak, I’m just saying that in general it’s hard to correctly guess the source of these issues without looking at internal logs.

2 Likes