The Future of Filtering Enabled: Experimental Mode

This is not the case right now but is not ruled out as something we might do in the future. We are not changing the defaults in terms of functionality.

1 Like

If any place in a universe is experimental, the whole game is considered experimental

4 Likes

This is not correct Experimental games are not yet hidden for users <13. You should be able to see this by your developer stats figures by age.

Ah okay, I was thinking about a previous announcement back in February and assumed that it had already happened. Thank you for the information.

1 Like

@BrightEyes Just a tip, when serial replying to a bunch of questions like that itā€™s helpful to quote the question your answering because the forum defaults to listing posts chronologically.

And I accidentally replied to buildthomasā€¦ heh

9 Likes

Should be moved to the public section sometime.

Iā€™m not happy with the name ā€œGameā€ cause now we have:

Game - Colloquial sense, ā€œHave you played that Candy Crush game?ā€

Place - Dictionary meaning

Place - Colloquial reference to a game/ place on Roblox that in a sense is just a workspace/ lighting setup with models thrown in. Any game can be a place, but things like universes or Robloxā€™s term ā€œGameā€ links places together

Place - Technical Roblox reference, as in not just any old place but a subset of Game. You can create places like servers, but they are not whole new games with their own options for API

Game - Term used for servers (Iā€™m not sure if this was changed?)

Game - Technical term for a group of places or whatever a place is a subsection of, arbitrarily adding an extra layer if a game is contained to a single place

Game - Filtering Enabled Game

The notion is reasonable though. But no one is going to start calling filteringenabled games ā€œgamesā€ and will refer to ā€œexperimental modeā€ games as normal games as well.

So now you have certain context sensitive definitions that are lost on new or general populus players. The special name ā€œFilteringEnabledā€ gives a specific idea of the behaviour of a game.

It really all depends on the nature of how these labels are applied. If filteringenabled games get no special stamps while ā€œExperimental modeā€ games get their own stamp on their gameā€™s page saying ā€œexperimental modeā€ then thatā€™s fine.

Just donā€™t stop using the phrase ā€œFilteringEnabledā€ when referencing to them, just because you assume we know what ā€œGamesā€ are. At least not without clearly stating ā€œExperimental modeā€ out-right.

23 Likes

This thread is being moved to the public section. Please be aware of the rules concerning public discussions.

5 Likes

Honestly when I first saw this change on the wiki I thought the term xperimental just made them sound cool and hip and bleeding edge. Plus new games shouldnā€™t be developed without filtering in mind.
What was the rationale behind not renaming the property to ā€œFilteringDisabledā€ and labeling the games as ā€œUnfilteredā€ or ā€œUnsafeā€?

17 Likes

So you mean the feature is per-game instead of per-place?

3 Likes

FilteringEnabled will always be a property close to my heart, no rename can change that!

On a seperate note, my friend asks: Will advertisements for NonFE places be shown to <13s past August 9?

3 Likes

Luckily all my games are FE compatible! I like this update.

2 Likes

Smart move. The potential danger of online interactions is probably the biggest threat to Roblox as a whole.

This is a big step towards ensuring uniform safety.

3 Likes

Yeah about time this was introduced.

But experemental mode? Interesting name. :joy:

Itā€™d be great seeing all the copied games off the front page, as well as default places. Itā€™d clean up the games page a lot, and there could be a checkbox to indicate whether you want to see experimental games or not.

7 Likes

I am very happy this update is coming out.

Some of the biggest effects that I really will love to see are

• Younger users will not find games that can be made potentially inappropriate due to exploits
  • Developers who have games that are not FE but do have an audience will be strongly pushed to enable FE, making the experience better in the long run

Really nice update.

7 Likes

I actually was thinking about making an FE tycoon kit at one point, then I thought that it would be silly and didnā€™t do it.

Iā€™ve been thinking about it, and I have to agree with the people who think the name choice is not the best. Hopefully it will be reconsidered.

7 Likes